Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 AM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
I only have to vaccume once a week. I can let it go a bit longer before I start seeing hair accumulating on the carpet.

I just ruffled and pulled at Sierra's coat (not hard, but enough that on a lab you'd probably get a handful of hair) and got so little I was able to count how many hairs were in my hand. About 10. Only one was guard hair, the rest was very fine, hard to see.

Infact, the furminator doesn't seem to do much for her. She has thick guard hairs, and not much of an undercoat, and the furminator seems to ONLY pick up a bit of undercoat. It works much better on my cats
I can't believe this. I only posted this YESTERDAY but it seems with the warm rainy weather we had starting last night, not only has spring sprung, but so has SHEDDING SEASON!

I snuggled with Sierra and Matt this morning, and we were both COVERED in dog hair after about 5 minutes! There were actually CLUMPS on Matt's black shirt! I've never seen that before! lol

So it looks like I'm going to have to increase how much I vaccume in the spring

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 04-01-2008, 04:01 PM
orange iguanas.

Molly sheds like crazy all year round. Though I would say her hypothyroidism plays a role in that.

Lucy, on the other hand... well, she's a bichon/poodle mix, need I say more? I might find some of her hair here and there but it's hardly anything noticeable.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 04-01-2008, 06:13 PM
and Fozzie B!

Gonzo sheds moderately. He used to shed a LOT... but ever since switching to Raw, his coat is much thicker and he sheds much less. I brush him for about 15 minutes twice a week, which is enough to keep shedding down to a minimum.

Fozzie pretty much doesn't shed. He will leave a few hairs here and there, but no matter what I brush him with, barely any hair comes out. His coat is really smooth. Apparently, he didn't inherit the Corgi coat! :3

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
not so newby

can you say tumble weeds? LOL...out of my 3 my worst shedder is Niko my short haired boy, next my shepherd Chiana and then KC my golden. I can vacuum and a few hours later I have tumble weeds of fluff rolling across my floor...lol...seems like no amount of brushing really helps.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 AM
southern fried mush

My dog, Shadow, blows undercoat every spring, including now. His undercoat is white and gray. He will also shed some of the red.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Big Dog

Our ridgeless Rhodesian Ridgeback is the shedder, which is surprising because she has short hair. Our chow/retriever only sheds a few times a year, and then its a couple of big tumbleweeds of fur and thats it. We started using New Optima 365 (recommended by Vet) to help with the shedding. It does work but it takes about 4-5 weeks to see a difference. Also, a quart of it is about $70 so it's not cheap.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

I really doubt if any dog could shed more than Ollie ! Take your worse shedding Lab , have each hair 3" long and curly . He sheds 3 times more than any of my Goldens did , so if his other half IS Poodle , forget the idea that a Golden/Poodle mix doesn't shed ! I use 4 different tools on him and could still get more out ! The only nice thing was that so much of him went to France with me !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/