Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2008, 10:04 AM
just call me Nilly

Default How many hours a day does your dog sleep?

I know this will greatly vary from dog to dog, as some are very low-key and low energy, and others are go-go-go-go-go! But I figured I'd throw it out there.

Matt asked me today if Sierra sleeps too much, and I'd honestly never considered it, it's normal for her!

She sleeps all night when we sleep, also probably half the day. (For example, she went out with me this morning when I woke up, but now she's back asleep on the couch). When she's up, she's usually very active and energetic, so I've never worried about her sleeping to much

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Ozzy can go the whole time I'm outside and playing, but when we come in he usually just goes to sleep, or quietly amuses himself, which is exactly what I want. Usually though, he's sleeping by my feet. He sleeps all night as well, unless I'm up, and even then if I'm not interacting with him, he'll take himself to his crate and go to sleep. So, yeah, he probably sleeps a lot now that I think about it.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Are you dead yet?

A lot. I'd say Eve sleeps 18-20 hours a day when she doesn't work.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
A lot. I'd say Eve sleeps 18-20 hours a day.
Same for Maggie May. Like this morning for example I had to get up at 4:30am to babysit. She got up with me (after sleeping all night long with me) and I let her out. But then she was zonked back out on the couch. She tends to get up for short periods of time and run around like a maniac. And of course we go out for a long walk everyday. But yeah she definately sleeps 18-20 hours a day lol.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Oh a ton! They sleep through the night with us and probably more than half the day. lol lazy bums! Until we go out to play, though.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

Mine sleep all day too. When they go outside they get roudy and playful. Out side they run around like nuts. They come in and lay down. Bear will sleep all day and dixie will most of the time but she plays with her toys too.

When they start getting roudy inside, I know it's time for them to go out. Get out some of that energy.

Thanks for the siggie Baxter'smybaby!

Laura
Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

Wow I don't feel so bad anymore. I always thought Maggie slept too much, but when I let her run around off leash outside, there is no limit to her energy.. I've not yet been able to wear her out while she's been outside, but as soon as we come in, she's zonked out. She sleeps all night and most of the day. She's so cute when she sleeps, too.. she "runs" and "talks" in her sleep. I should make a video of it sometime.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

I heard a dog will sleep 17-20 hours a day.
I think it was like on one of the chick-fil-a toys talking about animals..
Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

Yeah, Uncle Fred and Mini sleep all day, too. They have internal on/off switches and no idle, so they seem to be either wide awake and playing or getting into trouble, or asleep.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 03-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

probably not QUITE as much as you're guys...maybe 15 hours? He sleeps all night, plays for about an hour in the morning, then usually goes back to sleep for 2-3 hours, and then is up most of the afternoon.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com