Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Just an interesting stray fact. But apparently all three were puppy mill puppies and she singlehandedly started a craze for "white" golden retrievers. Or so various internet sources indicate. I remember reading about it at the time, so that now I wonder about her having a show decrying practices she seems to have previously supported.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 03-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

White Goldens is like, an oxymoron isnt it? Should they even be considered Goldens? And they look like longer haired labs to me, not Goldens...
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Oprah actually got her white retrievers after meeting Nicolette Sheridan's white retriever, Oliver. She also claims to be a huge animal advocate, yada, yada, yada...

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
i do too, i don't know why so many on here do not.
I know. I dont get it either.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmom777 View Post
I don't watch Oprah, so I may be confused, but didn't Oprah BUY a couple of puppy mill or BYB puppies a few years ago? I think they were Goldens.
Yes she did. She got 3 white golden retrievers.

Did anyone consider that just maybe she got those dogs BEFORE she was educated about BYBs?? I know a lot of people who have boughten from BYBs before, but are NOW against them. Does it make them a bad person? Absolutely not. She gets huge props from me for doing a puppy mill show!!

About being terrified by pit bulls.... who wouldn't be? They have such a bad rep. Before I got Reggin, I was also weary with pit bulls and I still am with ones I dont know.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

But Reggin, people like Oprah, who purposely put themselves in the public eye, have to be extra careful of what they do. I bet way more people were influenced by her highly publicized puppy purchase then are likely to be influenced by her anti-puppy mill show. People seem to be really motivated to act like these stars. I feel she had a responsibility to educate herself before running off the Tehachapi, CA to but those pups. The very positively spun story of their purchase is still up on her site, I posted the link. So far she hasn't, to the best of my knowledge, said she thinks there is anything wrong with what she did.

Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 03-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
But Reggin, people like Oprah, who purposely put themselves in the public eye, have to be extra careful of what they do. I bet way more people were influenced by her highly publicized puppy purchase then are likely to be influenced by her anti-puppy mill show. People seem to be really motivated to act like these stars. I feel she had a responsibility to educate herself before running off the Tehachapi, CA to but those pups. The very positively spun story of their purchase is still up on her site, I posted the link. So far she hasn't, to the best of my knowledge, said she thinks there is anything wrong with what she did.
It is an unfair standard to hold these people to when they are JUST PEOPLE... also if her buying BYB dogs was copied because of who she is then so will her puppymill story... she cant only have an effect when it suits people.

Do you want her to say she regrets buying her dogs.
I had a poodle from a BYB and I never for one moment regretted getting her... she was the very best dog on the planet until the moment I lost her.

If she is educating people on the right way to get dogs that is what matters NOW.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
You are correct that she needs to be extra careful about what she does. I was FUMING mad when I seen her show about getting her white goldens. But I also second what poodlemommy said.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

OK, but she at least needs to put some kind of notation on her happy, glowing website about going to the BYB and buying three puppies all at once on impulse when she only went out to get one. I would appreciate it if she at edited that to say that although she loves her dogs, this is no way to buy a pup.

Oprah is not a person like the rest of us. I actually give athletes who do stupid stuff more of a pass, because their claim to fame is sports, not public behavior, but Oprah has put herself out there on purpose as a personality and has made it clear that she wants to influence people's behavior. This is who she is and what she does. I still think she has the responsibility to educate herself before she does anything publicly like buying these puppies.

Also keep in mind that she has handlers and publicists who vet her every move and word. The puppy purchase story was beyond stupid. Personally i give way more thought to buying a toaster or blender than she gave to getting those pups.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
About being terrified by pit bulls.... who wouldn't be? They have such a bad rep. Before I got Reggin, I was also weary with pit bulls and I still am with ones I dont know.
I don't really care if she's terrified of pits or not, but I do very much disagree with her having a pit on her show and then just freaking out the whole time about it. How do you think that's going to make other people look at pit bulls? It's bad publicity for them, becuase if Oprah is scared of pits well then shouldn't we all just be?? Just like she started a craze about white golden retrievers she could just as easily set off a craze that is anti-pits.

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.