Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Red Hot Chilli Paws

Thanks everyone. I'm so excited!

I went shopping today, but I couldn't find any of the Innova food, or actually anything that looked relatively good.

These are all the brands I found at the stores I went to, MINUS Bil-Jac. (list was taken from petsmart.com), your top picks to feed him from this list are...

Active Care

Alpo
Authority
Avoderm Natural
Beneful
Bil-Jac
Blue Buffalo
By Nature
Cesar
Eukanuba
Iams
Kibbles 'N Bits
Nature's Best
Nature's Recipe
Nutro Max
Nutro Natural Choice
Nutro Ultra
Pedigree
Pet Ag
Pet Botanics
Pro Plan
Pro Plan Selects
Purina
Purina ONE
Royal Canin
Science Diet
The Good Life
Vita Gravy
Whole Meals
Wholemeals

I got him a set of ceramic dishes and an elevated stand so he doesn't have to bend over. Got him a crate.

I went to go look for an orbee (I think they're only in America??) but anyway, the lady looked at me like I asked her where I could park my spaceship. XD Never heard of Cuz's around here, either though. I'll keep my eyes peeled though.
A Human Who Does Not Respect Their Family;
A Human Who Abuses Others;
A Human Who Will Not Fight For What He Believes Is Right;
Is Not A Human At All.

- Janessa Thayer, Ontario

Owner of Ruckus, Belgian Tervuren, Age 2 <3
Old 03-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi, I'm Melissa!

KONGS!

Definitely...

Mine couldn't do without one! haha!
Stuff it with yummy stuff like low fat natural yoghurt/ham/doggie biscuits etc and you're all set!

Can't wait to see yer doggie!!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:43 PM
just call me Nilly

Orbee's and Cuz's are both available in Canada, (Cuz is a bit more easy to find). Look in smaller shops than Petsmart. Independent mom n' pop type pet supply stores tend to carry more of the higher quality items than the big chains.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 03-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

I agree with Kongs! But all my dog ever played with were stuffed toys so no kongs, orbees or Cuz toys for us As for food...petsmart and petco really don't sell much in the way of quality, here check out the store locators for the foods:

Innova, EVO and California Natural (all made my Natura): http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/default.asp

Canidae: http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

Orijen: http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/

Taste of the Wild: http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/dealer_locator/

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

A Terv, how wonderful. I second the advice on the rope toy, most dogs will play with that.
Just be patient when you get him home, it will be a while before you find out what he is really like. And don't forget that camera.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Bored Now.

LOL those are really crappy foods. Check out Maxy's list, its much better.

And go look at the collar sites I linked to in my post, and http://www.ellaslead.com as well.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Well, Blue Buffalo could be worse. But it is violently overpriced and a Terv is not a light eater.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 PM
Felurian

www.planetdog.com for Orbees

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-01-2008, 07:28 AM
and Fozzie B!

Yayyy! I can't wait to see your new Terv boyee... they are such stunning dogs. : )

Out of your list, By Nature and Blue Buffalo are the best, IMHO. Both are pretty pricey. You would be much better off buying a higher quality food from a specialty store or a feed store, for the same price or less.

For toys... I highly recommend at least one large Kong (for stuffing with goodies, to keep him occupied), a soft frisbee, any of the FatCat toys (I'm pretty sure they sell them at Petsmart), and a Jolly Ball (my dogs have 2 with ropes in them).

For beds... It just depends on the dog. Both of my boys love nest beds, but they also love their big pillow-shaped beds.

For collars and leashes... A really good "start" for a collection would be a rolled leather collar and a braided leather leash. They are super durable, good for training and leash work, and they look good on any dog.

For treats... It's always good to have a few chewies at any given moment, if you need to keep him occupied for a while. Bully sticks, lamb ears, Better Than Ears, dried chicken strips, and compressed rawhide, are just a few good options. For cookies, I really like Old Mother Hubbard, they don't have any icky ingredients. For training treats, I prefer to use hotdogs, cheese, etc, but I sometimes buy BilJac liver treats or Charlee Bear treats.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie