Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Red Hot Chilli Paws

Default I is gettin a doggeh. :D Checklist help?

Well today I went to the pound again (the one thats half hour away), and the purebred terv was still there! Well I fell in love with him for SURE today. I pick him up wednesday, and have all week off because the place where I work caught fire during the night.

Anyway, 'Ruckus' (who will be renamed) stays at the pound for 3 more days, and I have 3 days to prepare.

I've already started a checklist, and I need to rename 'Ruckus' because my friend's dog's name is Ruckus.

I don't have a picture of ruckus, but he is very dark browny/black with rust color on his chest and tan on the lower part of his legs.

Anyways, the checklist:

- Toys (types of toys would be a great suggestion from you guys!)
- Food (i'm thinking about feeding him raw)
- crate (big enough for him to stand up and turn around in)
- A bed
- Collars & Leashes (none are hot pink and flowery, don't worry XD)
- Treats

What is I missing, and types of toys suggestions/opinons on feeding raw are appreciated.

I'm so excited!!!!
A Human Who Does Not Respect Their Family;
A Human Who Abuses Others;
A Human Who Will Not Fight For What He Believes Is Right;
Is Not A Human At All.

- Janessa Thayer, Ontario

Owner of Ruckus, Belgian Tervuren, Age 2 <3
Old 03-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Felurian

Don't go overboard with toys until you get an idea of what he likes to play with. Maybe one stuffie, something that squeaks, and an Orbee ball.

Some raw meaty bones will be a hit with him for gnawing, I'm sure

Oh, and something VERY important . . . . A CAMERA

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-30-2008, 06:34 PM
<--------Orson

What Renee said about the toys.........Phoebe doesn't like ANY type of toy and has been that way since we brought her home. I would wait and see what his preferences are.

As for food, I would check to see what he is currently on at the shelter. If it's a decent food you may want to pick some up for mixing when/if you switch him over to a new food.

And "thinking" about raw, unless you have done your homework, is not a good idea until you are prepared. It is a lot more than just throwing some raw meat in the bowl, LOL, if you HAVE done your homework and are prepared to feed raw GREAT

And food / water bowls?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:38 PM
just call me Nilly

WOOT!! So happy for you!

I definatley agree with Renee on the toys. Something soft, something squeaky (and durable, Cuz's are great!) and a fantastic ball (I agree with the Orbee suggestion, they're amazing!)

Good for you for considering raw, it's a great way to go. There are many members here who feed raw, so feel free to ask questions in the food and nutrition section if you need to.

A bed may not be as important as a good crate pad. His crate IS his bed, remember.

Don't forget bowls for food/water. Stainless steel is your best option there, but there are some really nice ceramic ones on the market too.

When I was bringing Sierra home I got a little of everything in treats. A jerky treat I could break up for training, a cookie type treat, and a few bullwrinkles for chewing on. Raw bones are good for chewing on too!

I also took my oldest towel and quickly turned it into Sierra's "bone towel" for chewing things on.

Whereabouts are you in Ontario btw?

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Bored Now.

Some tennis balls, too, they're usually fun, and a rope toy.

Dishes? Go for stainless steel or ceramic. I like ceramic for water as they're harder to knock over. Go grab a high quality kibble like Innova from your local feed store or pet supply store. Costco has really nice beds (HUGE ones, great-dane or mastiff sized, very nice) for $20, so if you can stop by there I'd suggest it.

Collars.. well LOL we can recommend good collar sites if you like, but for now just get something serviceable. Check the stitching carefully, make sure the D or O-ring is welded together (ask, if they can't tell you, DON'T BUY IT). I'd just get some nylon for now as it's very strong. Once you have him... http://www.2houndsdesign.com http://www.wiggleswagswhiskers.com http://www.bestfriendsfashions.net http://www.pacocollars.com http://www.collarmania.com
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Felurian

Careful on the tennis balls. I notice that a lot of dogs who like to chew on tennis balls repeatedly show more tooth wear than they should.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Careful on the tennis balls. I notice that a lot of dogs who like to chew on tennis balls repeatedly show more tooth wear than they should.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
feel the magic

Oh, and don't overwhelm the poor dog when he comes home.
He may not eat good (or at all) for the at least the first day-3. Ella was like that when we brought her home. She would barely eat. It took a while before Ella ever ate right for us (at least a month). Now she'll eat anything I put in front of her.

As others have suggested, keep it simple on the toys until you find out what he likes. I bought Ella like 5 toys before we ever got her home and she ONLY played with the bad cuz ball. I had to give away the others because she wouldn't touch them.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Felurian

Oh, and you will need an Ella's Lead!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-30-2008, 07:45 PM
feel the magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Oh, and you will need an Ella's Lead!
HA! Oh man, I totally forgot about that. Thanks for the plug.