Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2008, 03:44 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Not unreasonable at all.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 03-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Felurian

It really depends on what YOU want from YOUR dog

Personally, and with the kinds of dogs I have, I don't do off leash unless I'm in a contained area, and then not if there is anyone else there.

I also could care less about a heel; never have. Mine are guardians - walking ahead and keeping a lookout is what they do. As long as they aren't pulling and straining I'm fine (hear that, TALLULAH???)

Bimmer is naturally wary of taking anything from someone he doesn't know - even from someone he does know most of the time, and he's passed that on to Kharma.

It's very much give and take at my house

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Chicken View Post
HOWEVER... just because your dog doesn't heel offlead and can't ignore food on the ground doesn't mean s/he is not trained well
Completely agree.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Are you dead yet?

I agree with Renee that it depends on your expectations and your dog. I expect my dogs to come when they're called, no matter what. Heel? Dash and Zaphod don't do heel. As long as they stick to one side during a walk and don't pull, I won't complain.

In contrast, I have some really strict requirements of Eve - she has to completely ignore food temptations when working (even the delicious meat that's kept at nose level in the grocery store, even the corn dog that some kid is waving at her in an attempt to get her attention, even a cookie that falls onto the ground) and a "heel" on both sides is absolutely essential. Complete control off-leash is also important, and I'm not talking about commands so much as keeping her with me. If she strays away too far or tries to get into something she shouldn't, I need to know that she'll respond to a verbal correction. At the same time, while I expect a lot from her and hold her behavior to a high standard, she works independently and it's important that she does these things eagerly by choice, not reluctantly and by force.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Angel Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Completely agree.
ZOMG! Someone agrees with me!