Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-05-2005, 08:55 PM
United States Marine Corp

Default New Dog! Hydro?!

Yep, you all might be saying this guy is crazy, after everything I have been through with Rocky II, I'm going to be departing him next month and leaving the little fella with my parents who will spoil him far more than I would have. I'm moving to Miami and I'm planning on buying a dog. I won't have much property there, I'll be living in an apartment to start so I want a dog that won't be too upset about being home.

German Shepherds are fantastic, I taught Rocko, how to bark, give paw, sit, and lay on command in 1 day but I am looking into another variety.

I love big dogs, and I know where I can get my hands on a pure-bred Kavkaskaya Ovcharka (Caucasus Shepherd). I was considering one, but they grow so big, I'm not sure if being at home will be a great idea. I was going to consider a Doberman Pinscher but my brother has one and like I said I want something different. I wan't a great natural guard like a German Shepherd for the home. At almost 4 months my GSD already defends my house like it was his.

So far I have narrowed down the choices for:

Caucasus Shepherd
Chow-Chow
Japanese Akita
Staffordshire Terrier
Siberian Husky
Pitbull

What do you all recommend or think?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Why can't you bring rocky II with you?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:07 PM

I got him for my mom on her B-Day, it's their dog not mines. I'll still see Rocky II plenty enough, this is just a dog for my home.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

oh...so he was never your dog...I see
Old 07-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Felurian

Remember the climate you're going to - leave the heavily coated dogs to a less tropical home!

Mastiff breeds can be quite good in cities. They need a place to be taken for a good walk with some trotting and running and a good romp - as does any dog - but at home they are good sofa guardians. Fila are actually rather well known in that area, but you MUST make sure you can make a lifetime commitment to a Fila. There is a reason the Brazillians have an age old saying, "faithful as a Fila."

Of the breeds you have listed, only the Staffie and Pit are breeds I would want to keep in Florida. Actually, Rocky II should be fine there.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-05-2005, 09:14 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i would think hard before you do an apartment with a big dog..it isn't easy, but hey, that's just me talking again. I did it with a pointer and it was extremely difficult without a yard, and if no one is home and the pup cries..well you better line up sitters. I'd deffinately avoid dogs that need a cooler climate..even Missouri is miserable for the longer hairs. I haven't seen a happy husky til the snow falls. Good LUck Hydro, and i am glad your parents will have a healthy puppy now.. You done good

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-05-2005, 09:14 PM

Rocky is a family dog

Thanks Renee , Mastiffs are great I know this for a fact, but I hate the whole melting face thing :P. Filas are nice too but their heads are usually more broad than their shoulders. Thats why I didn't list them :/,

I guess you are right about the weather. I know the weather takes out Chow's automatically. How are Staffs?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Felurian

Actually, the Fila head should NOT be wider than the shoulders, Hydro.

Staffs are great. They are TERRIERS though, so they need plenty of action. The Bull Terrier (different from the Pit Bull Terrier) is a more compact dog, so you can get more action out of less space. Something tells me you'd like their attitude too . . . talk about a perfect Marine dog!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-05-2005, 09:20 PM
no touchy

Just a little note - in my experience, Siberian Huskies absolutely stink at guarding. I have walked past a Sibe's house, and instead of barking at me, as most dogs would, he lay there, sunbathing!
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Felurian

These are some photos of what Fila should look like. Amy's Filas are among the best you'll see anywhere. http://homepage.mac.com/gaheld/PhotoAlbum11.html

I'm glad I went back and looked at her photos again; I hadn't looked in quite some time and I can see how well Kharma is shaping up - very similar to these dogs.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian