* Please help - foods to entice dog to eat *

My new dog is ill (link to posting: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72117&page=3) and she is still not eating anything besides broth and a few licks of baby food apple sauce and baby food ham. I am going to call the vet, and I wanted to try a few more things to try to get her to eat. Does anyone have ideas for super tasty pet or other food - soft would probably be best - to entice her to eat?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
find yourself some tripe. Tripet makes canned tripe in many varieties which would be good if you can't find fresh green tripe. Also, Solid Gold has a tripe based canned food (it's not entirely tripe, but enough that it should entice the appetite, and it's easier to find in pet stores).

Not only is tripe chock full of nutrients, but it's STINKAY and dogs can't resist the stuff.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I don't know what you should give her to try and entice her to eat but regardless... you definitely should call your vet asap to let them know that she's still not eating. When was the last time she ate a full meal?

I'll look around online and see if I can't find anything that might be useful as far as helping her to eat.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I posted before seeing Vanilla's post... tripe does sound like a good idea. See if it works. Let us know the outcome. Good luck. ((good vibes))

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
My dogs love Solid Gold canned trip, just as much as real green tripe. Vanillasugar's suggestion should definitely entice her! : )

I would try anything. Plain chicken, ground meats, brown rice, etc. My dogs love canned Innova Evo. They also LOVE Merrick canned food, particularly Wing-a-Ling. Good luck with getting her all better.

Thank you all! Do you know where I can find tripe - maybe the Solid Gold? I went to Pet Supermarket looking for canned and two supermarket butchers looking for canned or fresh, but couldn't find anyone who carries it. (I'd rather canned.) So far, the only additional thing she's eaten has been NutriCal, a syrupy nutritional supplement. We have an appointment at the vet at 5:30 pm. She's very lethargic and very thin, so I'm extremely worried.

joce

Keep giving her the nurtical-its great with cats and dogs if they are not eating for any reason. We have had to force feed it before with a syringe but its a sticky mess. If she won't eat it just put some on the roof of her mouth a little at a time and it should irritate her enough to keep licking it till it all goes down.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your responses! I took her to the vet this evening. The vet thought it was something more than kennel cough, since she was so lethargic and losing weight (1 lb since Monday, from 40.5 to 39.5 Ibs). She did a blood test and switched her to a different antibiotic that would be effective against the other potential problems. It was an expensive visit, though I ended up asking them to hold off on a couple of tests, since they potential outcomes would be treated w/the antibiotic anyway. At any rate, as I was waiting to go over the bill afterwards, I offered her a dog treat from the jar - and she ate it - as well as a few more! When we got home, I gave her some Merrick canned food, and she's eaten some of that too! I hope, along w/the new antibiotic, that this is the start of her recovery, though I wish she had started eating before the vet's visit.

Members online

No members online now.