Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Squishy22

Question Blue merle ACD?

This is my friends dog. She says that her dog is an ACD, but I didnt think they can come in blue merle?? I was thinking maybe there is some australian shepherd in her. Her face is a little thin like a collie and she isnt DA like a lot of ACDs I know. She has a short tail, not sure if it was docked or not.

She is blue merle right? What do you think she is?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

That's blue merle? I always thought this coloring was. And red merle. Are there other merles? I'm confused now.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
That's blue merle? I always thought this coloring was.
I figured it was blue merle with a lot of black in there. She has a blue eye which could be a characteristic of blue merles. All though I could be very wrong, I dont know.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Someone should come along soon and educate us. lol

Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Twin 2.0

That's not blue merle, that looks more like ticking that went haywire. It could be an Aussie/ACD mix, but it's probably just an oddly colored ACD.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
Someone should come along soon and educate us. lol
Yes!! I am very interested about this. lol.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
That's not blue merle, that looks more like ticking that went haywire. It could be an Aussie/ACD mix, but it's probably just an oddly colored ACD.
Weird, lol. I figured it was blue merle because of the marbling in her coat and her blue eye. Interesting! Maybe I can find another pic of her...
Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Twin 2.0

No, see, blue merle is a masking factor. If the dog didn't have the merle gene, it would be a black bi- or tri-color. The merling is patches of grey on an otherwise black background. Your friend's dog has a tan base with some black spots on it, mixed with ticking.

I've seen blue eyes/partial blue eyes in dogs before that had no merling to them...I mean it's always possible the dog has some really odd expression of the merle gene, but...it's confusing. Go to www.ashgi.org for some good articles and pictures on Merle.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Squishy22

Here are a couple more pics of Sadie. She looks too dark to be blue merle, but in some places her coat is a light grayish/blue? She has a lot of brown in her too.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Twin 2.0

Ok those pictures are better and do show her to be a merle. Flashes can screw up coloration so badly...she's a wierdly marked merle though, since she's got the tan on her neck and shoulders. Aussie/ACD mix I guess...ACD's have thier own colorations that can react oddly.