Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-19-2008, 04:15 PM
BSL Can Be Beaten

I would be very careful about always bringing your dog with you to work; my sister and I did that with our respective dogs (two totally different breeds) and now both hate to be left at home; to the point of destructiveness (my dog) or constant whining (her dog).
Do not establish a "pattern" or "routine" that you will not be able to keep up for the life of your dog. Some aren't as willing to adapt as others (my dog is a complete bitch about being left at home alone; destroys whatever she can in or out of the crate - I may be anthromo'ing her; but that's the only time she chews stuff up; is when she isn't going in the car to be with me. She'll do it when my husband/kids are home but I've left her home instead of bringing her. Really makes her an annoying dog at times.

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Salty Sea Dog

our daycare is nice...(and anywhere doing that needs shutting down GAH!) i dont know enough about shcutz to help you on that end.

our daycare is $28.00 per day $14.00 per half day, and there are packages that get you discounts for buying 10 or 20 sessions for a lower price.

were about average for the area.
alot of people do once or twice a week and mostly its high energy dogs or dogs who have seperation anxiety...we do have alot of dogs that come for a few months as puppies for socilization then stop comming once the owner feels that the dog is "socilized"

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 03-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Walks into Mordor

I don't see the need for a crate, outdoor kennel or doggy day care if your dog is fine with being home alone and is well-housebroken. Zeus just curls up on the couch and snoozes while we're at work, and can hold his bladder more than 10 hours at a time.

Voodoo unfortunately has to be crated when we're gone. After that time he went through the living room window, I no longer trust him loose in the house. And because of his bully look, I think he's at too much risk to be stolen if I left him in an outdoor kennel.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I would be very careful about always bringing your dog with you to work; my sister and I did that with our respective dogs (two totally different breeds) and now both hate to be left at home;
I always say it's a miracle that my dog doesn't have separation anxiety; she goes almost everywhere with me (literally, I've left her home alone MAYBE 15 times in two years). But every time I need to, she handles it just fine. Stays loose, and is sleeping on my bed every time I get back.

I agree, though. Some dogs may not be able to handle it. If I ever get a puppy, it'll still go to work with me, but I will have to make a point to get it used to being home alone as well.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:27 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
I don't see the need for a crate, outdoor kennel or doggy day care if your dog is fine with being home alone and is well-housebroken. Zeus just curls up on the couch and snoozes while we're at work, and can hold his bladder more than 10 hours at a time.

Voodoo has to be crated when we're gone. After that time he went through the living room window, I no longer trust him loose in the house. And because of his bully look, I think he's at too much risk to be stolen if I left him in an outdoor kennel.
With my last dog, I could do that. I will also probably do that in the future, once the pup has grown old enough. But I'll probably be getting a puppy, rather than a rescue this time, which means he will only be about 8 weeks or so.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

I crated Duke for the first eight months when I was at school, after that we had a test day, where I sectioned off the kitchen and let him stay in the living room to see how well he did with being left out of the crate. He didnt get into anything so I slowly over the week let him have more run of the place and now he just chills at home. When I was working at a pet store he came to work with me once or twice a week and loved greeting customers. I've recently started a new job at a doggie day care and well I think it's a great place for some dogs I think it the enviroment would be too overwheleming for him.

Make sure you really scrutinize the staff and their protocol for how they deal with scuffels, do they use time outs or corrections? What is their deffinition of corrections? When is time out used and for how long? What courses and training are staff given ( first aid and basic canine body langauge should be the minimum of what they have under their belts). Also how does the dynamic work at the park?

Most puppies do best with crating simply because it makes house breaking much easier but always ensure you have time to wake up and either play with them or take them on a walk before shutting them away all day and given them a stuffed kong to keep them busy. Adult dogs are usually fine with being home alone but deffiently well socialized dogs would enjoy doggie day care, i would never trust the life altering process of socialization to a company and would not bring a young dog to doggie day care.

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

When I was working we had to crate Beezer and Belle. I didn't like crating them for the whole day but it was just the safer option for them and for this house full of stuff that doesn't belong to us lol.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 03-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

I don't work, but if I have to go somewhere that I can't take the dogs, they stay home. Bear doesn't bother anything while I'm gone and just curls up somewhere and goes to sleep. Dixie gets crated since she's not 100% truthworthy left alone. She still gets into some things but not much.

If I'm going to be gone all day, I have a neighbor i can call who will let the dogs out or feed them If I need them to.

Thanks for the siggie Baxter'smybaby!

Laura
Old 03-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Let it be

They can come with me but I only ever bring one dog. Some times I'll bring Miley and Bandit but I'll never bring Spanky in a pair. My dogs go in their "rooms". Spanky goes in the laundry room, Bandit goes in my room and Miley free runs the house unless no one else is home. Then she gets put in the crate with my kitten Bella. Bella has to be the worst to leave alone in the house. That cat destroys everything!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Show Dog

my dogs came to me young, 9wks =way to young for daycare, so they were crated and i paid a dog sitter to come to the house 3 times a day for puppy bathroom breaks & a lunch feeding. she came every 2hrs...puppies can't hold long(i was home by 3pm). then when they completed vaccs. which is about 3mos. or so they were able to go to work w/ me as well to doggie daycare.

when they no longer needed to be crated they just hung out all day when not with me.

*if your dog is distructive, the best & safest thing for your dog is to crate it.*

ENYA & GRISSUM