Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-19-2008, 04:31 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Default Working and Dogs

What do y'all do with your puppies when you're working? So far, the advice I've been given is to get a dog run. Anything y'all want to add? Also, any advice on where to get one?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

If I'm working, usually my dog is with me. However, that is not always possible, so I have a crate I put him in, and my mother walks him about every two to four hours or so until I get back. You might consider doggie day care...
Old 03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

how long are you at work for? I would not leave my dog outside for fear of him being stolen. if you do though, make sure he has a GOOD dog house to keep him warm or cool depending on your climate and to protect him from rain, snow and sun. Make sure he has water he cannot tip over and that his area is free from any dangerous objects he could ingest.
Other options are crating (so long as you are able to come home or have someone come home at lunch to take him out) or finding a doggy daycare or dog sitter.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:49 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Well, I work a lot right now but once I get my puppy, I'm going to be working eight hours a day three days a week. I may look into Doggie Day Care. I won't really have anyone to come and let the pup out if I crated him/her.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:50 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
If I'm working, usually my dog is with me.
What kind of job do you have?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

I would recommend crate training for potty training issues--it worked out well for me and my husband as he works 4am to noon and I work 8am-5pm--and if he is out of town or whatever I live within 20 minutes of work so I can come home to let my dogs out.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Salty Sea Dog

daycare is an EXCELENT option, not only does it mean hes not home alone all day, and wont be stuck in a crate all day, it means hell be socilizing with dogs of all kind, and playing the day away meaning no pent up energy)

i work a doggy daycare and bring ruby with me...and i see a huge difference in her!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 PM
MyHorseMyRules

How would Doggie Day Care affect training, though? I am looking into finding a Schutzhund trainer in my area, and I would like to start doing that. However, I know you have to be careful how your dog is socialized and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
I would recommend crate training for potty training issues--it worked out well for me and my husband as he works 4am to noon and I work 8am-5pm--and if he is out of town or whatever I live within 20 minutes of work so I can come home to let my dogs out.
I live alone, and I'm about an hour away from work. So, I couldn't even make it back on my lunch hour.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

How much is doggy daycare usually? I always thought it would be expensive.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

I just bring my dog to work with me. But I know that isn't an option for everyone.

You could try looking under "dog walking services" in the yellow pages or on Craigslist; maybe try calling some local dog schools for recommendations. I bet you could find someone to come take the puppy for a walk mid-day, and since you are only gone all day three days a week, it shouldn't be too expensive.

Doggy Daycares are great for some dogs, but not all. And there are some really, really bad daycares out there. We have one locally that freely admits that most of the dogs wear electronic shock collars because "it keeps things quieter".