Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Big Dog

Default (Hopefully) getting a dog tomorrow! - deciding which one

I posted a few months ago about getting a dog, but due to a few circumstances I have waited until now. I've been fostering for almost a year now, which I think makes it harder to choose one - I've loved so many briefly and then given them up (to be adopted, of course) that as silly as it sounds, I think I'm nervous about choosing one that will be mine forever. I am really wanting one of my own though, and I'm so excited I can't sleep. I'm looking for a dog who can go running, hiking, and to the dog park with me, and maybe do agility, but who doesn't have huge energy needs, since I live in an apartment and work full time. I'd also rather get a dog that's not dominant or aggressive, due to my personality (on the gentler side). I went to the local animal shelter today and found a dog listed as a husky, who I think is mixed with yellow lab. It's not a breed combo I had considered before, but she seems to be a really good fit for me. She is ~40 - 50 pounds, but thickly built (husky ). We went running for in the visitation area (only a few yards), and she seemed to really like it. She also seemed sweet and to have a fairly stable temperament. She's also bi-eyed, which I always think is neat (though far from a priority). We didn't totally bond, but I think that's hard in the shelter environment. The other dog I've been thinking about is this one: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=10443487 - I love border collies, but obviously don't live in a farm, so I thought she might be a rare border collie that would fit my lifestyle. Unfortunately, she's at a shelter 1.5 hours away (maybe 2 or more with traffic), so I need to think if it is worth the trip tomorrow. I just had to share with someone. I know it's hard to say, but any thoughts on the matter?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Felurian

Listen to your heart . . . . that's the best advice I can give you on this one

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Listen to your heart . . . . that's the best advice I can give you on this one
Thanks! That's what I need to do (as well as get to sleep). I think I'll decide tomorrow whether to go visit the dog at the other shelter, or just go visit the dog near my home again and decide if she's the one. I'm not sure why I'm so nervous. . .
Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Felurian

You're nervous because your life is about to change

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Workin' Dog

I think it's hard to know which dog will suit you best until you have them for a while. Since you've already fostered dogs, why don't you keep fostering until you find the one you just can't say no to?

If you're set on getting your very own right now, I would follow Renee's advice- listen to your heart. Picking a dog in an animal shelter situations is difficult even for experience temperament testers. They change so much once you bring them home. But, when you look in a set of eyes and melt, that doesn't tend to change. And it's not a bad starting point for a long term relationship
Old 03-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Let it be

I thought I'd add you don't NEED a farm for a Border Collie. I live in a house with an unfenced yard so my dogs are never outside without me. They are two very happy Border Collies.

It's hard to know what dog is for you when in a shelter if you look at it logically. Dogs change so much once brought into your home. Go with a bit of heart, a bit of logic and with a bit of luck I'm sure you'll find your perfect dog.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Fallow you heart. I was going to adopt my foster Saddie but she had agression issues and were I was moving to it just wasnt a good idea. I miss her daily and in a way i regret it but she went to a great home who could handle her issues.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 03-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

You'll know the right one ....good luck !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i cannot see a border collie in an apt for that long and be happy. WHen i lived in an apt complex my neighbors had one. THat was a sad story. EIther way Good luck with your decision.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Water Junkie

I agree, you don't need a huge yard, farm, land, etc to have a Border Collie and some do very well in apt. But biased on that you don't want a dog that needs alot of exercise, I personally, wouldn't go with the Border Collie.

Other than that, follow your heart like Renee said.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l