Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-11-2006, 04:40 PM
nook the crook

you da man, thanks/.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Puppy Dog

Yay! My puppy's normal! I'm happy! But I can't teach it how to sit and stuffs. Can someone tell me a forum so I can teach my 9 week old pomeranian some easy but basic tricks? :?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Active Pup

Hey thanks for writing this, it helped me a lott with my new six and a half week old puppy. Its really really helpful to new puppy ownerss. (=
Old 11-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Puppy Dog

Yes, we always had rescue dogs and not puppies, and we thought our little Yellow Lab was a problem child. But after reading this and going to class, we know that she is just a normal and active youngster. By gentle correction and lots of love and treats, she is not chewing our carpets to smithereens any more. And we take her to the beach daily for getting the energy out, and she is starting to retrieve tennis balls, so things are working out very well.
Telling new puppy owners what to expect, and if theyve not had a puppy for years and years, is a very important service.
And we thank you for all this info, its sure helped us.

We have tons of toys for her, and by rotating them, she isnt bored, but they do easily tire of a group of toys, so you really have to come up with new stuff!
We discovered that an ice cube to push around on our hardwood floors is just a blast! She did this for over an hour, we used several cubes, and she had a ball.
Just need to figure out the fun stuff that they like and provide new ideas constantly. Then they wont shred your grandkids hands or eat your shoes and gloves.
jane
Old 11-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for the overview! I am looking forward to all of it. What a challenge!

jumping bean
Old 11-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Puppy Dog

And find doggies who are about her age, and let them play together. This is a wonderful way to expend energy and they will be a bit more careful after biting a youngster the same age, they learn quickly.
And the fun is great to watch.
The beach is great as we can let her off the leash there.
Jane
Old 06-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Active Pup

How long do you punish a puppy if he/she is continually doing something bad? I know he's super young (8weeks, daschund M) and will mess around. I just don't want to encourage bad habits. . .
Old 06-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Puppy Dog

Never punish harshly, do the opposite by giving lots of praise when they do the right thing. If they are continually doing bad things, then change what he is doing, like substituting a toy, diverting his attention, go out for a walk, anything like that.
At 8 weeks its like a 10 month old human baby, punishing will only make the youngster worse, as they really cannot understand what they are doing.
But if you say "NO" or "Leave It", then immediatly divert either the dog or the kids attention, that works.
Lilly chewed the corner of our living room rug, but after about 20 "Leave Its" with immediate toy substitution, that stopped.
If you over correct, the youngster will get defensive or sneaky, and then youve got new problems.
Hope this helps,
Jane
Old 07-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Active Pup

Unhappy puppy messes

my puppy a miniature Dachshund Odie is 41/2 months old and still messing in the house please any advice?:
Old 07-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Twin 2.0

Do a search in this forum or in the Training forum. There are many threads answering this exact question.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!