Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Felurian

You have to check the laws in your state. Here in Tennessee, shooting a dog unless you're a farmer and the dog is chasing your livestock or unless a dog is attacking, is felony animal cruelty.

But yah, separate walks. I usually do separate walks with Bimmer and Kharma, and they get along. Kharma just pisses Bimmer off when she lunges or doesn't stop when he stops.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Snow Girl

You can walk both dogs together just train one to heel on your left and the other on your right. They cant fight if they're remaining in their respactable spots (with you between them). Like Dana said, ths is just a training issue that can be remedied.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 03-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl View Post
Happened to one of our dogs. One got shot and the other was shot and killed. Jack made it home, only for me to have to put him out of his misery with my gun. He was almost dead.

Terrible, but hey, I can understand why some folk do that. In my case the dogs kept escaping and chasing cattle. You never know what the reasoning is. Just be careful, or you'll have to go thru what I did. And that sucks.
OMG, your an idiot AND you have pitties. Not very responsible are you?
Old 03-15-2008, 04:35 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Hershey, please don't walk both dogs until you are SURE you can do it safely. Land owners in most areas are within their rights to destroy loose dogs on their property, especially if they feel their livestock may be in danger.

Get someone to walk the dogs with you, or walk them one at a time.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Felurian

And, you never know how good a shot the landowner is . . . or how drunk he is. It might not be the dogs who get hit.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

In california is illegal to let go of the leash. In fact I think there is a leash length regulation? No longer than 6 feet I believe.

In any event, I'm so glad your babies are okay. I'm moving out to the 'country' soon so now I know to never let my boy off the leash. Lesson learned for me too!
Old 03-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Yum...

The obedience trainer is going to come to our house sometime too, she does a good job with aggression. Shes going to help us with our problems at home. And I'm not going to walk them together until it can be done safely. I know this is a serious issue. And, this guy has no livestock of any kind. Hershey was in his ditch. And thats it. And sniffing around, not hurting anything. But I do understand that he can't be running loose, on everyone's property. It was scary! (Whisper mouths at Hershey, and he doesn't like it, he doesn't start it) But yes, this is a training session with the two. Would I give them a treat every time they are by each other, and not nipping or anything? Like, put Hershey on a leash, have him walk into the room Whisper's in, and give her a treat for not biting? I'll ask the trainer when she comes over also.

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Have you called the police?? I don't know about your state but where I am from, it is illegal to fire a weapon within a couple of hundred feet of a road and other residents. It is also illegal to fire any weapon towards or across a road. So if you dog was in his ditch and you saw it, depending on the laws you may have a case. At the very least its on record.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Twin 2.0

Are you sure it's attacking and not just Hershey telling Whisper to "settle down already!"? Sawyer likes to do this with Virgo on occassion...jump on her and mouth when walking next to her. I just walk one on either side of me and the problem is solved. Most of the time they can be walked next to each other as well; Sawyer has grown out of his total "brat on a leash" phase.

Good luck with the trainer!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Let it be

That's frightening. Glad the dogs are ok.