Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Yum...

Angry OMG! Hershey got shot at!!!

Well, we went on a walk last night, I was holding both leashes of Hershey and Whisper, and Whisper got on Hershey's nerves, and I let go of his leash, because I didn't want either to get hurt. Whisper has gotten the bad side of Hershey once, and I didn't want it to happen again. And he ran to my grandma's neighbors. And the next thing we knew he was getting shot at!!!!!!! With a real gun! So I screamed "there shooting at Hershey!" Really loud. So he halled back to us, and he is fine, and isn't injured, we checked. Picked his leash up, and went home. My grandma said don't come this way again. Isn't shooting at a dog with a leash dragging/collar and tags illegal??? I was freaked out that they might have gotten Hershey. And then Bruce didn't make it any better by threatening to burn down their house for shooting at him!!! He could have gotten shot!!! (He was trying to yell at them about shooting at Hershey) I know I shouldn't have dropped his leash. I was wrong in many ways. But your supposed to call Animal Control. I can't hold 136 pounds of dog on my right/left arm. My arm gets weak after a while. I pitched in softball/threw. And now my arm is going out. I can't hold my niece anymore/hold dog food for very long now. And two dogs almost fighting isn't making it any better. So I guess its separate walking times now for the both of them. I took the dog coupler back for this reason. I tried separate leashes last night. I'm still freaked out about him getting shot at. However, I wasn't going to go over there, and talk to them about it. Because they are crazy, my mom and grandma said that they were. Of course I will do anything for Whisper and Hershey to make this situation better.

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Old 03-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Twin 2.0

I think you're going to have to start taking two walks. You've got two problems here, Whisper and Hershey don't get along all that well when walked together and obviously your neighbors aren't too thrilled to have a loose dog on their property.

I'm glad he's not hurt but heed the lesson!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit2010 View Post
...Isn't shooting at a dog with a leash dragging/collar and tags illegal???...
Not in rural/farm areas. What is illegal, at least around here, is shooting a gun too close to dwellings and roads, tho. I'm not saying it was right to shoot at Hershey, only that, just because he was dragging a leash and has tags doesn't mean it was OK for him to be on someone else's property. However, I totally understand why he was loose, and I'm glad he wasn't hurt.

I'm with Zoom- it looks like you'll be taking two walks. Or maybe someone can come with you and you each take a dog?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:13 PM
overdogged

Depending on where you live, no, it's not illegal. I agree- if you can't handle the two of them together, you'll need to start taking separate walks. That's what I have to do with Luce and Mushroom, and yeah, it's a pain, but that's just what we have to do.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Yum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Not in rural/farm areas. What is illegal, at least around here, is shooting a gun too close to dwellings and roads, tho. I'm not saying it was right to shoot at Hershey, only that, just because he was dragging a leash and has tags doesn't mean it was OK for him to be on someone else's property. However, I totally understand why he was loose, and I'm glad he wasn't hurt.

I'm with Zoom- it looks like you'll be taking two walks. Or maybe someone can come with you and you each take a dog?
We live in the country. I do understand that it wasn't ok for him to be running loose. Two walks sounds like a good idea. Whisper can be a pill for Hershey who isn't in to mouthing/all the energy. Thanks everyone for the advice. And I will definately take this lesson in, so Hershey doesn't get shot. Next time the guy might not miss. <----- As harsh as it sounds, but some people just aren't very nice. And we all know it.

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Old 03-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Scary! I would not go that way again if you can avoid it!

Agree with Zoom, if they don't always get along and you can't pull them apart, seperate walks may be for the best!
Old 03-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

Happened to one of our dogs. One got shot and the other was shot and killed. Jack made it home, only for me to have to put him out of his misery with my gun. He was almost dead.

Terrible, but hey, I can understand why some folk do that. In my case the dogs kept escaping and chasing cattle. You never know what the reasoning is. Just be careful, or you'll have to go thru what I did. And that sucks.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

Scary for you ....but a lesson learned .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Love my pets

I'm glad to hear everyone is okay. Do please take them on separate walks. That guy is crazy! I just moved to the country and there's lots of loose dogs which visit my house.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Workin' Dog

It seems to me that the primary problem is that your dogs are not walking nicely on the leash and feel that they are allowed to fight with one another on walks This is a training issue. With enough training, you should be able to walk two intact males who don't like each other, let alone two dogs who live together and presumably get along most of the time. I think everyone is right when they suggest separate walks for now. But long term, I would be training them to walk better on the leash and listen to you. You should be able to say sit or down and stop any bickering or over-excitement. It may take a while to train them to that level, but you should eventually be able to walk them together again.

Have you taken them to any training classes? Do you know anyone in your area who is good at retraining aggression? My guess is that they get too excited about the walk and then bicker when they bump into one another or fight over who gets to stick his nose deeper in the smells. This should be pretty trainable. Part of the training is teaching them not to get so wild, part of it is teaching them that they need to be listening to you for commands. If they both sit as soon as you tell them to, every time, they can't fight. I would also tend to suggest training on gentle leaders or haltis. The haltis in particular are good, bc you can pull up on the leash and that one simple pull will get their heads away from each other and close their mouths. The haltis can be very good for gently correcting low levels of aggression.