Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Default So today i went to take Milo to a park with a friend's dog...

Yesterday my therapist said i need to spend more time outside in the sun. He told me i needed to take Milo to a park for some hiking and running around, and that i should bring a friend.

There's a park nearby called Avalon, it's really nice. It's an on-leash park with a lot of trails through the woods, some big fields, a "labyrinth" and a hugeeee duck pond with a grist mill. I've taken Milo there a few times in the summer, but we haven't been in months since it's so darn cold.

I grabbed his Cuz and the camera and layered my clothing since it was ick cold and mom and i drove over to my friend Kiko's house to pick her up. I guess she didn't see/hear us pull in so i left Miley and Mom in the car and went to get her and also see her adorable lab X greyhound (probably) mix Pumpkin. Pumpkin is 10+, super mellow, and likes other dogs but isn't the rough-and-tumble type. She's kind of the sniff faces and cuddle kind...Anyway, when i got there Punky was all "OHHH auntie alex i missed you *kisskiss*" so when we got back to the car i told mom and she was like "would milo be okay if you bring her?". I wasn't entirely sure, so we decided to let them meet in the yard and if they were okay we'd bring punky along.

I leashed Milo and Kiko leashed Punky and got her outside. Milo was sniffing her face and trying REALLY hard to play, bowing and springing up all over, and Punky was all waggy and happy, so i thought it'd be a go. We let them get used to each other and then Milo came back over to me and just sat there all good.

I got in the front passanger seat with Milo on my lap (i know, i know.). Kiko tried to get Punk to jump in, but she wouldn't. Pumpkin's rather large, Kiko's rather small, and my mom drives a Hummer.

Mom got out and help Kiko hoist a very waggy Punky into the backseat. Milo was just looking out the window.

The Pumpkin stuck her head over the back of my seat to say hi. Milo turned around, saw her, and went

"ARKrgabdjlgfdsjahgfSLJGASDL die pumpkin GROWL SNARL I AM A HORRID LITTLE SCHIZO DOG". I just wrapped by arms around his chest and leaned back so he couldn't bite me instead.

Punk's response? Flop down and stretch out across the backseat, get nice and comfy. She gave Milo a look that plainly said "shut the hell up". Poor girl didn't want to get out of the car at all, Kiko had to basically drag her out. I felt bad, but once we got there we realized even if she came it would have been to much hiking for her.

I just wanted to post this so you can sort of realize how Milo's behavior is. Fine one second and nutso the next. He's not particularly territorial, it's just that the car was too much excitement and he got overwhelmed.

When we got back home he played very nicely with Benji, so at least it wasn't a terrible setback. I was a little upset, but it could have been worse.

i got a ton of pictures, but they came out very very light, so i'll need to fix them up.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Squishy face

If that was me, Milo would have been removed from the car and walked around until he calmed down, and then brought back to the car. Repeat if necessary.

Benji acted like a freak if I took him outside and there were people near the front of our yard, so if he acted like a jerk when we went out the door, he got pulled back in the house. It only took twice for Benji to realize that bad behavior meant no walk, and he LOVES walks, so he learned quick.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Felurian

Here's a trick.

Next time, the OTHER dog gets in the car first. Milo gets in LAST.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Squishy face

^^^ yeah that would be good to try too.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Top Dog

Sweet, i really, really should have done that. But we weren't planning on bringing Pumpkin and i didn't have a whole lot of time.

That's how i normally handle it, removing him from the situation until he calms down and keep getting closer/rewarding him and if he acts like a brat he gets moved away, so he knows he has to behave to get in on the fun.

Renee, i'll definately try that next time. Maybe we'll try where we're just going for rides around the block.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Let it be

I've had some scary car experiences with my boys. Spanky snapped at Bandit, latching onto his ear when they were pups. Not fun. Thankfully our system works. Bandit in the front riding beside me, Spanky and Miley in the backseat.

Can't wait for the pictures.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Top Dog

I know Milo has had a lot of issues with other dogs, but I've got to say...Meg would have done the exact same thing. I mean, I wouldn't have worried at all about getting myself bit, but if she is on my lap and another dog comes into her space, she would make one hell of a racket. I'm HER mom, and she doesn't want to share. Only a few good dog friends could get away with that. I'm not really saying it's okay (although to be honest, it doesn't bother me); just that it isn't really evidence of complete insanity in my opinion.

If I have to put Meg and a strange dog in the car together (extra fun for me because I drive a pick-up), the other dog gets put in the car first and tied in the backseat so it can't get into the front, then Meg gets in and rides in the passenger seat.