Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Rescue Ranger

Default Of all of the stupid things that I have done...

Most of you know that I have a senior dog sanctuary...basically it's a nursing home for dogs. This morning I got all of the meds ready to go and had them all on a tray ready to dispense when I got diverted...I sat the tray on a high table and when I came back into the room, one of the dogs had somehow climbed up and was munching away on the medicine tray! I almost fainted...he ingested 1 1/2 2.5mg Enalapril tablets, 1/2 of a Vetmedin tablet, and 1/2 of a Thyrosin tablet...He weighs about 7 pounds...I panicked and grabbed him and stuck my finger down his throat...this is where the STUPID comes in...I have been in this profession long enough to know better, but it was just a knee jerk reaction...OF COURSE doing this does NOT make the dog vomit, however, it does cause him to chomp down on my finger...Silly me recently threw away the syrup that makes them vomit because it was out of date and I haven't had a chance to replace it yet...now bleeding all over like a stuck pig, I grab the phone and frantically call the vet because the first 2 meds are to lower blood pressure and I'm having all sorts of bad scenarios run through my mind...the vet tells me to relax and he will be fine...okay, so much for that crisis...I wash my hands and pour a little peroxide on the wound and go about my business...NOW my finger is swollen and hot, so I soaked it in Epsom Salt water and put some antibiotic cream on it...I'm such an idiot!

I've been frosted!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Twin 2.0

Oh man! I think anyone would have panicked at that moment...and with meds it's really sketchy sometimes if you should use peroxide to make them vomit or not. Glad the only thing out of sorts is your finger...not that that is a good thing, but you know what I mean. Make sure you keep an eye that and I hope it heals quickly!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Felurian

Ohhhh . . . . I'll have to beg your forgiveness . . . . that made me giggle . . . I can see myself doing exactly the same thing, only with half of my arm down the gullet of a 125 pounder

But at least Kharma wouldn't chomp down on me, lol. Can't blame the poor little fella though.

And I'll bet he's one that you normally have to HIDE his pills in something to get him to take them.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Rescue Ranger

Hehehehe...it does sound kind of funny in retrospect...yes, he is the one that I have to force to take his meds! From here on out, I will always remember that dogs don't have the same gag reflex as we do...the poor little guy...my finger barely fit...he was wondering why in the world I was trying to kill him!

I've been frosted!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 PM
BusterLove

We all have those moments.

We came home one day and found Mac had eaten 7 of Sophie painkillers, Sophie was close t 40kg at that stage and is meant to have 1/2 a day. Mac is 10kg and ate 7. 2 days at the vet and $400 later. Luckily they had a very high safety margin, we learned our lesson, just because we put them up on a high bench, oin their child proof container does not mean she cannot somehow get to them.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

Feel for all of you !!!! Why is it that some dogs won't take their med and some will take any !?

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 PM
swimming upstream

I sure would have panicked too!! Wow!