Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-02-2005, 01:59 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Default bad manners

at the off leash park..can i rant a little? there are certain people that just don't get it..when you let your dog chase after everybody's ball..no one can do anything..and then you have to chase that dog down to get your ball back while the owner sits on their can watching the show. Many people are working their dogs at the same time on the beach, and most dogs are very polite about whose toy is whose. Geez..my friend had a friend's dog with her that is way overweight, but doing much better. He took a real liking to my dog's toy so we were trying to toss it a few feet in the water, a little more each time, but oh no..here comes trouble for the one millionth time. Finally i took hold of the manners offender and just held on to the dog while my friend's dog actually waddled out there a few times building up confidence with each retrieve. then and only then did the owner think it was time to go..guess they didn't like me confining their dog after that two big mastiffs came down and decided that Victor looked a little like prey. Now he usually can outrun anything coming and going but these brutes were pinning him between him and i saw him getting actually afraid so sigh...we had to leave. We spent quite a bit of time up in the grassland area where there were lots of things to sniff run after, and dogs with decent manners to play with. My friend made me another movie, but i don't have the disc yet to edit (i am going to attempt this time) so that was our week's outing. I am afraid Mary's days of the dog park are closing. She limped badly when we got home and had to have a bit of help out of the car. We are all beat. Since there was some energetic rolling by all parties of our pack (my friend had four with her ) we got the glory of washing all six when we got home. Maybe i am glad i only do this once a week instead of daily.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

Smkie, thats too bad your fun day was intruded upon by dog owners who don't know manners. Its just like people with little kids, who think their kid is so CUTE that everyone just has to be in love with it - whether its crying in a movie or throwing food in a restuarant.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Top Dog

I guess you have to look for somewhere else to go. The nerve of some people! GRrrrrr. That would bug me too. But it's probably the same everywhere, isn't it? I don't know...have only been to a dog park once when I was visiting my sister. We were the only ones there and one Corgi. This was when Lyric was small and he and that dog played and the owner thought that was fine.

Well...sorry that wrecked your time.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:29 AM
user not active

As soon as you bring a ball to a dog park its no longer yours... If you want your dog exlusively go after the ball and no one else, dont come to dog park go to a field.

I dont know, that thing about you taking someone elses dog and holding it... You have no right to do that, Im surprised that the owner didnt say/do anything "nice" to you for your manners. If my dog wants to run after your ball, then so be it, and you actually touch my dog with intent to restrain him so that your dog can get the ball, would make me extremely pissed off.

As far as mastifs, all kinds of "bright" dogs come to dog parks. In these cases, I usually forced the people with bad dogs to get out.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Kelpiefied

I don't know how you would manage to force someone out of a dog park, but I do agree that taking a ball and expecting all the other dogs to ignore it isn't really credible. I always take two. May is faster than any dog we have met as yet, but if a dog is closer and reaches the ball before her she won't try and get it back. It can get really annoying though. The "warlock" doberman at my park is a notorious ball stealer and he can fit three in his mouth at once, thereby pissing off at least three people!
Also, once he has them he tends to run off to the corner and crack them all in half, then run around the feild, spitting out the remains. He's like a lab on speed.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:39 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i don't care if they get the ball a few times, but when that many people's fun is being wrecked by a person that sits on their fanny and doen'st even get up to throw one one time..i would have given her one to keep her dog occupied, then yeah, i consider it horrible manners. and so does everyone else. I have been going to this dog park for a year now and have never experienced any one that has not handed the ball back to you when their dog mistakenly picked it up..usually they just toss it to you and go back to engaging their own dog. If you do not do that orion, then you are one of the bad manners people. I do not force anybody to do anything, if they do not have the grace to to correct a behavior, the park is 55 acres we go somewhere else..forcing is gross.
the whole point is that this person expected everyone else to engage her dog in activity at the cost of not being able to engage their own, she was perfectly willing to come get her own dog out of our faces..this was not a one time occurance, we waited over an hour for her to leave.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Disappointed :(

i'm with you smkie on this

we dont have dog parks here but I frequently encounter lazy owners who let their dogs spoil others time...

why didn't the owner entertain his dog or play fetch with him or something instead of sitting on his a$$ and letting it bug you and your group? that is just rude, plain and simple - like parents letting a kid run riot in a theatre or resturant as said above

it might have been interesting to shout to the owner "can you call your dog away" -- wonder what he'd have said?

Some people seem to like to cause trouble- through ignorance or otherwise
Old 07-03-2005, 08:07 AM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonster
it might have been interesting to shout to the owner "can you call your dog away" -- wonder what he'd have said?
He would have probably told her to go """"" off because it is an leash-free dog park. And he would be completely right.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Top Dog

I'm with you on this Smkie. The other dog's owner could have attempted to entertain her own dog in her space and allow you to be able to entertain your dog in your space. Yes, sometimes it's hard to expect a dog to not go after a ball it sees flying across the grass, but an attempt to call the dog over to her, get the ball away and give it back to you....distract it into playing with HER would have been more polite. (that is.....in our society)
Old 07-03-2005, 09:16 AM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
I'm with you on this Smkie. The other dog's owner could have attempted to entertain her own dog in her space and allow you to be able to entertain your dog in your space. Yes, sometimes it's hard to expect a dog to not go after a ball it sees flying across the grass, but an attempt to call the dog over to her, get the ball away and give it back to you....distract it into playing with HER would have been more polite. (that is.....in our society)
I always thought people brought dogs to dog parks to entertain themselves with other dogs...

If someone wanted to play/interact/entertain their own dog they would do it outside of dog park...

If your dog has such hard time competing for the ball, then just leave and play somewhere else. Its not like your dog is actually playing with other dogs.... (directed at original poster)