Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-09-2008, 12:45 PM
feel the magic

Default Dobe owners! :)

I KNOW that a few of you have already explained to me in the past kind of/sort of difference between male and female dobes (in your experience), but I'm a ding-a-ling and cannot remember what thread that was posted in.

Also, for future reference, you know...just in case I get a dobe one day, far, far away in the future, if I don't plan on showing or doing any type of real competition with any future, possible dobe of mine, would you suggest rescuing or purchasing from a reputable breeder. Pros and cons of both, please?

I'll ALWAYS have a pit bull in my life (if I can help it), but I would also like a dobe one day as well. I want to research as much as possible now, to see if a dobe is even right for us. Ben grew up with dobes, but he always had males and they were always from a breeder. The breeder his family got their dobes from no longer breeds, though.

I want a goofball dobe, but I would also want a dobe that is not only good with my family, but also good with people in general.

Thanks in advance, guys!
Old 03-09-2008, 01:17 PM
<--------Orson

I have ever only owned males, and only two at that

But what I see posted over and over is that Males tend to be more immature and clownish for quite a bit longer OR their whole life! They tend to be more clingy and lovey dovey with their owners. You run a high risk of male to male aggression with them as well, neutered or not.

Where females are more independent and serious, still loving but not quite as velcro. I have heard tell that the females are more sly and sneaky, LOL

I am sure there will ALWAYS be exceptions and this is just a general view.

As for rescue vs good breeder, I would think the pros and cons would be similar to any other breed. If you are not looking to show or compete, go to a good rescue and have them match you up with a dobe just right for you. And honestly, even competing in lots of different sports and obedience can be done with a rescue as well.........Just ask doberkim
Old 03-09-2008, 01:23 PM
feel the magic

I figured about the rescue thing, I guess it was a silly question, I guess maybe I asked it because I am unfamiliar with Doberman rescues. I know what to look for when I go to adopt another pit bull, but I am still unclear on what to look for when/if I were to adopt a dobe.

My next pit bull will be an adult and I want to see the dog interact with us AND with other dogs.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:25 PM
<--------Orson

And that would also be another good question for Doberkim. She deals with dobe rescues and could tell you either what to look for in a good one, or possibly even give you the name of one in your area.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:32 PM
feel the magic

thanks.

And when I say I don't plan to show or do any real competitive sport type thing with any future dobe of mine, that doesn't mean that I might not do obedience, or therapy with him/her. I just am not into the whole "show" thing. Not that it's bad, it's just not my thing. I'm grateful for those that DO show their dogs.

I would love to have either a therapy pit bull or therapy dobe one day.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

There was a pit bull in the group I used to do therapy with. Her name was Kylie and she was just an awesome little dog and the most loving dog I've ever met. She came from a rescue

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:04 PM
feel the magic

Ella would be a therapy dog, but on the part where we have to greet a handler with a dog, yeah, she totally would NOT pass that part.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Felurian

I have to admit that the Pits are really getting to me, lol. I can totally see adding a rescued Pit to the Fila Mafia . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-09-2008, 05:11 PM
F150 and a .30-06

With the dobes i know i find the males live up to the big dumb boy attitude

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show