Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Top Dog

Default Fireworks Fear

I'm sure lots of you have dogs that are afraid of thunder and fireworks. What do you do? Murray is petrified and there is no calming him. We try sitting with him on the couch and talking to him gently but he goes into a blind panic, running from room to room, panting. He is so scared I worry about him. With this being the 4th of July - it will be a loooooong weekend.

I know I can talk to the vet about tranquilers. Do any of you use them? And, since its too late to get them for this weekend, any suggestions on how to calm him?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

I turn the TV or music on fairly loud and leave it on. You may want to turn it on louder around the time the fireworks start, but leave it on the whole day turning it louder before the action starts. This works for my dogs as they just assume the noise is coming from the TV. Make sure you stay in the room where the TV is, so the noise is the most muffled.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Showpug, why didn't I think of that Thats a good idea!
Old 07-01-2005, 06:58 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Mary has to go with us, there for Victor will too..we go to a small school where there is nobody and you can still see a very nice city display..she is leashed and so will he be, Gg will sit there and hold Mary's paw then i will sit with her in the car. That is what we have had to do for 12 years. If i left her home alone she would shred my bedroom and be scared to death. WE don't know how shaffer will do..so maybe he will have to go along too. Trudy won't be around this year to be afraid, and last year her deafness saved her for the first time in her life. I wish people would save it for the parks instead of the homes..they shoot off so many in the neighborhoods that there is a haze of smoke like dense fog everywhere you drive and the air reeks of carbon. Lets all pray for rain. last year a 5 year old gurl was killed by an errate rocket..please all be incredibly careful. They had a boy on the news last night that was not allowed to shoot off any himself but he sat in his driveway to watch the neighbors. One of the fire balls from a rocket shot out the wrong way went straight up this boy's shorts tho he was at least a hundred feet away. He was in the burn unit for 24 days and had to have skin grafts to his thighs and buttock. It just isn't worth the risk. i would be blind in one eye if it hadn't been for my best friend's brother. A bottle rocket at the park zipped into my hair and was an inch from my eye when her brother ran up and grabbed it yanking hair and all then threw it before it went off. I like the park displays and plan on using my money for a lot better then blowing it up in one night.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

You are welcome...hope it works, or at least helps. You may find yourself sleeping with it on
Old 07-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Active Pup

I'm going to have to try the turning the TV on loud....someone started early (it's Canada day) and Angel was barking up a storm....I decided I would take her outside (it's still light out) for another walk so she could see there is nothing to be afraid of, but wouldn't you know it, who ever was shooting them off had stopped....so I spent the last half hour chasing birds and butterflies with Angel LOL.
Everyone please be safe....fireworks are dangerous things!!

If anyone wants a freen GREENIE, PM me and I'll tell you how.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

I worry about the adopted dogs as no one knows of their past experiences. My own dogs were subjected as pups,and though a few were " ify" about it, they learned it was nothing to fear. When I first got Chip at 4 yrs. I wasn't sure how he would cope. The first 4th we took a walk in the yard as I owww and awwwed. Now if thunder or fireworks happen, he just comes and lays at my feet.. he may be upset, but I don't make a big deal of it . I boarded 2 dogs who used to crash through the windows ( not at my house ) scared to death.....one time on the 5th I got a call that they had my dog ! I did a head count and all 4 were home. The Canon girls crashed again and still had my tag on their collars !!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Mixed Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
I turn the TV or music on fairly loud and leave it on. You may want to turn it on louder around the time the fireworks start, but leave it on the whole day turning it louder before the action starts. This works for my dogs as they just assume the noise is coming from the TV. Make sure you stay in the room where the TV is, so the noise is the most muffled.
Brilliant

Dog abusers: Unwanted
+Dogs4[my]life+
Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Puppy Dog

I use Rescue Remedy for thunder and fireworks fear. It works wonderfully! I keep it in my bedside stand in case we have thunder throught the night. Phoebe pants, paces and cries. She settles down within 15 mins. You can buy it at the health food store.

Rescue Remedy

Last edited by 3furkids; 07-01-2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:46 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i wish someone would tell the neighbors that the fourth is Monday..they must have an endless supply for they have been shooting them off for 5 straight hours now..Mary is curled up at my feet..fortunately Vic seems unbothered by them..sigh, i only have to get up in 5 hours.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,