Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-01-2005, 05:26 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Wow that cat's gorgeous!!
Seriously!! I saw in the first post she is a bangal....lol I should've read more closly the first time.
Anyways she is very cute!!
I wish you luck on finding a new doggy
Old 07-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Love my pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payge
Awwww! your Kharma is just as adorable as mine!
Here is my Kharma at 10 weeks old:
How adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you all the best in your decisions regarding adopting a great dane. They are magnificent looking dogs.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

So cute! I love those cats!
Old 07-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
Are the guard dogs? Or watch dogs?
My dane was a guard dog...Renee is right, they are not aggressive by nature, but he truly knew who was okay and who was not and I know that if someone were to break in without our welcome the rest would be history. I loved him because I always felt safe. So yes, mine was a "guard" dog more so than a watch dog
Old 07-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payge
Awwww! your Kharma is just as adorable as mine!
Here is my Kharma at 10 weeks old:
I wonder which Kharma gets into more trouble Sometimes we have Good Kharma, and sometimes we have Bad Kharma . . . and the odd person who drives up the driveway to the farmhouse finds we have Instant Kharma . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Big German Shepherd

I found a Great Dane breeder near me, so I was just curious... thanks for answering.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
I found a Great Dane breeder near me, so I was just curious... thanks for answering.
No prob...anytime
Old 07-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
I wonder which Kharma gets into more trouble Sometimes we have Good Kharma, and sometimes we have Bad Kharma . . . and the odd person who drives up the driveway to the farmhouse finds we have Instant Kharma . . .
Love it!
Old 07-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Puppy Dog

I'd be willing to bet mine was the naughtiest, at least at this point in time. She's just turned 16 weeks old so she is still very much in the kitten phase. Her favorite activity is attacking our feet at night. Her second favorite activity is knocking things off our desks.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

I have had the pleasure in years past of sharing my home with 2 wonderful Great Danes. Both were rescues approx. 1 yr old when I got them.

The 1st one, Samson, a fawn, I got from our local human society - he had been picked up as a stray. The only problem I had with him was that he was dog aggressive which I think possibly developed while he was loose. He was great with our other dog but not any others. We lost him to bloat when he was about 11 years which is actually a truly ripe old age for a dane.

The 2nd one, Elgin, I got after we lost Samson. His original owner got him as he was going to breed danes but then decided he would have more buyers if he bred pit bulls. I actually wanted a puppy but when I saw there was a Harlequin for sale locally I just had to go look even though he was a year old. When I saw him & how scared he was of the jerk who had him, needless to say, I folded him into my 2 door Duster & home he came! He was fearful of men and from what I saw I surely couldn't blame him. With alot of love, patience & consistency he learned to trust men again and was a great addition to our home. By 10 yo he was blind and was severely losing his mobility. When he was no longer my happy, tail wagging impish furpal we helped him to cross the bridge. It was one of my saddest days.

I found with both that training is a definite must - with the size of the breed you need to be able to control them, as I am sure you are aware of having had a large breed in the past. They did, however, seem to have in inborn sense of knowing they needed to interact differently with each in the family. They were extremely gentle with my young daughter, would play a little more roughly with me and would go all out with my hubby.

I have always had cats and both got along OK with them. I used to have 1 cat whose favorite spot was to lay on the ironing board so as Samson walked by he was at the ideal height to get in a swat to the head. Samson would just look at him & keep on going.

Here are some of my other experiences with this delightful breed:

1. Our TV was on a high microwave stand so we could still see it when they walked through the room.
2. Forget having anything on a cocktail table, etc. because their long tails will wipe it off onto the floor in a second. This goes for drink glasses, etc.
3. Beware of where the dog's tail is when you are both coming in from outside. The tip of Elgin's tail got caught by the screen door and over $600 later with multiple vet visits, stitches twice, I ended up with a dane with a docked tail.
4. Be prepared for black & blues on your legs - again, those happily wagging tails are dangerous!
5. You will be bringing in a dog who truly believes he is the perfect specimen of a lap dog! Mine would sit on the couch, my lap, picnic table bench with their back feet still on the ground. Warning - Elgin once went to sit on the picnic table bench but he scooted back a little too far & folded up and fell down with his butt to the ground between the bench & the top of the table with 4 paws pointing to the sky. It was quite difficult to free him while laughing hysterically (luckily he wasn't injured)
6. Don't assume something is safe put up on top of the refrigerator - there is no guarantee that it will be!
7. Drool - did someone say drool? When we had the Duster my daughter would refuse to ride with me unless she had a bath towel to put over her head because he would drool all over her head while she sat in the front seat & he sat in the back seat watching out the front window. She was very pleased when I got a mini-van.

Others have told you about the increased vet bills (meds cost much more than the average dog because of the increased dosage), higher food bills.

You will, however, get one of the most loveable, goofy companions you could ever ask for! Can you tell I absolutely love this breed?

Although I will admit I am another who has made the decision not to have another one because I know how lucky I was having my 2 for the number of years I did. However, I probably shouldn't say never - who knows!