Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 02-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Agalty training in Southern ontario, what to look for?

We are looking for a trainer in the southern Ontario area, more so Niagara Region. If anyone knows of one, or even where to look i would appreciate it.

Also, what do I look for in a god trainer? I am new to this and am not even sure what to look for.

Our dog is still a pup, 7 month's, but loves to run so I figured Agility would suit him well.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Only one I'm aware of near the falls who does agility is Tee Creek http://www.teecreek.com/

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Only one I'm aware of near the falls who does agility is Tee Creek http://www.teecreek.com/
Thanks for the reply.

Tee creek is the one I was thinking about going to.

What have you heard of them, are they good? What do I look for in an instructor?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I used to live in St Kitts.. but Cider was too young for agility, as we hadn't done much on normal manners. I called them, they never called me back, but their site has gotten far more detailed in the last 4 years. They look good.

You want to find someone willing to teach foundation behaviours in the first classes, not someone who just gets the dogs on all equipment to run sequences as early as possible.

Things liek recalling over a jump and through a tunnel are great, but they should spend time teaching you to teach your dog to target, playing with the downside of the aframe and the target to start off contact behaviour, not just having the dog start running the aframe. We always had the table available in one corner set low to work on sending our dogs progressively from slightly further away to the table to make it routine. A good foundation is really more about you being taught skills than the dog at first.. I had a better foundation than many people I've met, but it was still lacking. After a year and a half of classes, I started working with someone who had been on the world team. The first class I was unhappy, as we'd gone back to basics. By the second one, it clicked for me. Some of our basics on contacts were lacking. So we went back to fix them, which was a longer process than having done it right from the beginning, but I could see the changes in both of us.

Sorry for the novel You want a class that doesn't stress sequences, and getting dogs onto every piece of equipment asap. You want some handling skills being taught to you in there too and there's only so much time in a beginner class.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
I used to live in St Kitts.. but Cider was too young for agility, as we hadn't done much on normal manners. I called them, they never called me back, but their site has gotten far more detailed in the last 4 years. They look good.

You want to find someone willing to teach foundation behaviours in the first classes, not someone who just gets the dogs on all equipment to run sequences as early as possible.

Things liek recalling over a jump and through a tunnel are great, but they should spend time teaching you to teach your dog to target, playing with the downside of the aframe and the target to start off contact behaviour, not just having the dog start running the aframe. We always had the table available in one corner set low to work on sending our dogs progressively from slightly further away to the table to make it routine. A good foundation is really more about you being taught skills than the dog at first.. I had a better foundation than many people I've met, but it was still lacking. After a year and a half of classes, I started working with someone who had been on the world team. The first class I was unhappy, as we'd gone back to basics. By the second one, it clicked for me. Some of our basics on contacts were lacking. So we went back to fix them, which was a longer process than having done it right from the beginning, but I could see the changes in both of us.

Sorry for the novel You want a class that doesn't stress sequences, and getting dogs onto every piece of equipment asap. You want some handling skills being taught to you in there too and there's only so much time in a beginner class.
Again, thanks for the reply.

I am a complete noob, basically all I know is my dog loves to run and I think he would enjoy Agility. What I am saying is that being a complete noob some of the termonology you used I am not familiar with.

What are foundation behavoirs? And what are sequences?

I was told that the beginner class is one on one so there are no distractions, and they get the dog used to some of the obstacles, show him how to be safe on them.

Quote:
Things liek recalling over a jump and through a tunnel are great, but they should spend time teaching you to teach your dog to target, playing with the downside of the aframe and the target to start off contact behaviour,
What is "teaching your dog to target"? And what do you mean by the above paragraph? I am slightly confused.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Puppy Dog

We had our first class with Tee Creek in Welland and it was a lot of fun.

Ollie wasn't afraid of any of the equipment, went right up the "mini" a frame, through the tunnel etc.

He can do higher jumps, but we were told not to make him jump any higher then his joints until he is 18 month's of age.

Can't wait to go back next Sat.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Just try me..

Hmmm what foundation behaviours did you learn. Most agility places don't have you on much equip the first set of classes, let alone the first class. Was the 'mini' frame used so you can train contact behaviours? Really they should have you teach your dog to target first.

As MP said you want to avoid places that let the dogs 'play' on the equip to early, it is dangerous and will hamper you if you wish to continue on and compete one day.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Hmmm what foundation behaviours did you learn. Most agility places don't have you on much equip the first set of classes, let alone the first class. Was the 'mini' frame used so you can train contact behaviours? Really they should have you teach your dog to target first.

As MP said you want to avoid places that let the dogs 'play' on the equip to early, it is dangerous and will hamper you if you wish to continue on and compete one day.

What is a contact behavoir?

After walking around the "dome" (it was inside since there is snow on the ground here), we started with the table.

He had no problems jumping up on it so we let him get familiar with it and practised (sp?) him laying down on it few times.

The mini a- frame we used treats to have him walk over it and placed the treat on the yellow part of the frame so he would get used to putting that one paw in that zone. As we were talking about the a-frame, and that some dogs may be afraid of it, Ollie was already walking over it, lol

We then went to the "plank" (not sure what it is called I forget), and had him walk over it and again getting the treat in the yellow zone.

Then we got him used to going over the jump (which was pretty much 1" off the ground to start), he did well there.

Then we went to the tunnel which he had no problems coming through it to get a treat.

What foundation behaviours are you looking for? All rewards were given using the correct hands so in the future he gets used to you using your hands/ body to direct him where to go etc.

He seemed to pick up on it very well, our recall is good even when we don't offer treat rewards, and he seemed to have fun. Slept for the rest of the day when we got home, lol

EDIT: Keep in mind the lesson is private with puppies so there are no distractions. It also gives us more time to practise. He wasn't left alone to play on the equipment on his own. We were also told not to let him jump off of anything higher then his elbow joints (if that is what they are called), even the couch and our bed are too high for him to be jumping off of at such an early age.

Also, can someone explain to me what it is meant to "target"? Or teach him to target?

Last edited by DjEclipse; 03-03-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Just try me..

Hmm it doesn't sound horrible. But I am kinda suprised that they had you just simply giving a treat in the contact zones. A contact behaviour is what a dog does when they get to the contact. There are running contacts (by far the most difficult to train) then there are all sorts that involve the dogs stopping. (2 on 2 off, one rear two on, four on the floor and many others. The 2 on 2 off or 2o/2o is the most common.) Here is a pic of Dekka doing a 2o/2o.

She had already touched her nose to the ground, which is part of the criteria. And no matter where I am (ahead, way behind lol, or to the side, she should stop in that pose and wait for the next cue.

We do plank work and stuff too. But a lot more drive building exercises, and control exercises along with targeting and flat work.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Hmm it doesn't sound horrible. But I am kinda suprised that they had you just simply giving a treat in the contact zones. A contact behaviour is what a dog does when they get to the contact. There are running contacts (by far the most difficult to train) then there are all sorts that involve the dogs stopping. (2 on 2 off, one rear two on, four on the floor and many others. The 2 on 2 off or 2o/2o is the most common.) Here is a pic of Dekka doing a 2o/2o.

She had already touched her nose to the ground, which is part of the criteria. And no matter where I am (ahead, way behind lol, or to the side, she should stop in that pose and wait for the next cue.

We do plank work and stuff too. But a lot more drive building exercises, and control exercises along with targeting and flat work.
Maybe in future classes we'll do more contact stuff.

But he told us that in competition all the dog has to do is touch one paw in the yellow zone.

What is Drive building exercises? Targeting?

I guess I'll see how things go next class.

They are holding an agility event April 12th, we are going ot go watch and see what competition is about.

Do you have any vids/ pics of your og doing agility?