What to do about 4th of July

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok, since the fourth is coming up pretty quick I have a few questions. I know my dogs, well atleast Mack, is PETRIFIED of fireworks. What can I do with him to calm him down when they start going? He hates being in the basement. Our yard isn't fenced, and I wouldn't want to put him outside with the fireworks anyway. Should I kennel him, or let him hang out with us? The few times people have let off fireworks during the early a.m. hours he has freaked out and woke the whole entire house up. I'm just worried about him. My grandparents had a German Shepard a LONG time ago and it ended up freaking out so much that it got out of the house and took off. Someone called them the next day and said their dog had gotten struck and killed on the expressway, when they went to where she was hit she had already been taken away. I don't want something like that to happen to one of my dogs.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
My dogs ALL HATE fireworks totally freaks them out. Im not sure what to say as im not good at calming my dogs down when they freak because of fire works. I just wanted to share you are not alone :)!

Just keep your pups inside and try to keep them distracted. Maybe a nice raw bone would help keep Mack's mind off the noise.

The calmer you stay and the more you act like all the noise is normal the easier it's going to get for Mack.

I had a neighbor once who would throw bottle rockets over into our backyard because he thought it was funny to see a 15 year old German Shepherd with arthritis jump the fence . . . his 8 year old son told me why he did it! Of course, his hunting dogs ended up being gun shy, lol!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Lucas is soo use to the booming of the army bases near us (they make our windows shake) that the fireworks don't bother him all that much. The light from the explosion makes him jump a bit, but that's about it.
Chloe I don't know about so i'm going to have to do exactly what Renee said.

Invisible

Ohhh I didn't even think about the 4th of July! :eek:
We usually set off our own fireworks, but I think I'll stay inside with Chief this year to try and make sure he stays as calm as possible.

I didn't know you could set off your own fireworks in California now. When I was growing up it was illegal to do it - too much brush fire danger. There was a big official display on the highway behind the subdivision we lived in run by the fire department.

I have the opposite problem with my dogs. Anything that sounds like a gunshot and they want to go after it . . . one of their little in bred tricks is disarming, and to pass a temperament test they have to react by going toward a gunshot or at least not flinch and hold their ground. Noise from fireworks can get pretty interesting around here! We have to make sure the dogs all stay in the house, but do they ever get noisy!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I'll try getting him a bully stick. I know he LOVES those! They keep him entertained for hours too. Hannah doesn't seem to mind them much, but if they are going off a lot I think she might get a little scared. I have to remember to keep them all leashed incase they get out I can have a leash to grab onto.

Invisible

Renee750il said:
I didn't know you could set off your own fireworks in California now. When I was growing up it was illegal to do it - too much brush fire danger. There was a big official display on the highway behind the subdivision we lived in run by the fire department.
Your not suppose to and I think it is illegal, but try telling that to my parents :rolleyes:

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
It's illegal here as well but that doesn't stop people from doing it anyway. Not to mention there are 3 fireworks store not more than 10 minutes away from here. They have HUGE sales going on now like buy 1 get 6 free! It's INSANE!

bubbatd

I always tried to make it fun time for my dogs....put on a leash and walk ouside to owwwwwwwww and awwwwwwwwwwww with them... dog bones help . If they seem upset just cuddle and say " wasn't that great !" Act stupid and make it a game. If you make a big deal ( fear wise ) out of it, they'll always be afraid. Now hot air balloons was another chapter !!

Barb04

Super Moderator
I would give him his favorite treat and put the radio or television on for something else to listen to besides the background noise of the fireworks. My CJ is very frightened of them and usually goes under a bed or hides in the corner of a room. I let her have her space to be alone like she wants to.

Mayberry is also terrified of fireworks, and during the summer where we are, people are putting off a TON of them. Instead of getting down to soothe her, I say in a regular, cheery voice something like, "Hey, this is so much fun!!" and just act like my regular self so she doesn't think I'm scared, too. The vet also recommended a natural treatment for it.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I'll try taking them outside to watch, I hope he doesn't freak out that much. I won't cuddle him to much and baby him either, I don't want him to be afraid of everything.

Members online

No members online now.