Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Active Pup

Default Question | Dog Volunteering?

Hey,

This summer I have a lot of free time, so I thought about volunteering for a local animal shelter. ( I really love spending time with dogs ) The problem is that almost all of the animal shelters and rescues require the volunteer to be 18 years or older. The thing is, i'm only 13 years old. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions in where I could do something over the summer that would allow me to work with dogs even though i'm only 13. Any suggestions would be greatly apperciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Christian C.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

That's weird. I volunteer at the Humane Society here since I was 16. They allow 16 and up to go and bath the dogs and 11-15 yr olds come and bathe as long as they have someone 18 or older to come and supervise them.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Stare at my avatar....

Where are you located ? I'm only 11 and I volunteer at the dog shelter. Bathing the dogs, feeding the dogs, playing with them.Anyway, I'm glad you want to volunteer at a dog shelter, it's tons of fun and everyone makes a difference

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 06-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Active Pup

Yeah some of them allow 16 yr olds to become a shelter volunteer, but most have to be 18 yr olds. Also yeah some shelters allow "youth" to help out in the shelter, but a parent or someone related to them 18 or over has to be with them. The thing is my parents are working during the day, and dont have time to come with me to the shelter....
Old 06-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Active Pup

I live in the Bay Area ( Northern California). San Jose, CA to be more exact.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Stare at my avatar....

Wow, you're right! I searched and not one of them accepted volunteers younger than16. Myabe you could do something else. Check with vets around the area or maybe go into a dogwalking/petsitting business? You might even earn a little extra cash Anyway,I'll keep looking and see if I find anything.

Dain bramaged
Old 06-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Active Pup

Wow Beagle Lover Girl your really nice LOL. But yeah really though thanks for looking. Yeah I was wondering about Petsitting and Dog Walking. The only problem is that I really dont have any "Dog Experience." My Aunt has a dog, but thats about it. ( I visit her at least once a week). But I myself do not own ( and never have owned) a dog. Do you think they will still trust me with taking care or walking there dog?

Christian C.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Stare at my avatar....

Well maybe you can ask your aunt about what it's like having a dog and asking if you can try taking care of her dog for a day. Also, when you petsit, the owners pretty much tell you exactly what to do. And doing some research on the web wouldn't hurt either

Dain bramaged
Old 06-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Active Pup

Cool thanks for the suggestions Beagle. I have a question about pet sitting. What do you do when pet sitting? ( Its just like baby sitting but instead a dog right) Also, how do you get into the whole "pet sitting business" lol, like how do you get people to know that your a petsitter or w/e. ( what i'm trying to say is like how do you get your first "client" or dog to petsit?)

Thanks a lot beagle.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 PM
no touchy

Default I'm not beagle, but

I train and walk my neighbor's westie once a week. Now that it is getting hotter outside where I am, I have to make sure to take breaks so she doesn't overheat. As for the training I use liver treats to train her, and she learned the down command with luring as the method.

I have also cared for a different neighbor's cats. My sister and I went over daily to clean the litter box, feed the cats, pet and play with them, water the flowers, and refill the waterbowl. Our neighbor came and asked us, but if you really want to get yourself out there, the best thing to do is type up impressive fliers and pass them out around your neighborhood. Explain why you would be a good choice, and give a decent price - one that is reasonable for your time and that is affordable for most people.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.