Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Swedish Valhund

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?ta...&BreedCode=SEV

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Original Twin

Dekka, does the CKC do anything like the AKC's ILPing?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Just try me..

Yep.. but 2 issues. Any good JRT breeder isn't going to sell a dog knowingly to a person who will do that. (I have been asked about it) And PRTs are 12 to 15 inches. JRTs can be 10-15 inches. That might or might not be an issue. NOT that I would ever want to, I couldn't with Dekka as she is only 11 inches tall.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 AM
Dafuq?

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, probably. If I were ever to get anything other than my APBTs, that is. The ones I've seen seem to be incredibly versatile little athletes. There are several of them on the UKC Superdog list.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 02-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Unless BSL is defeated here (which I still do have hope for) anything classes as a pitbull can be problematic in Ontario, parts of Alberta and they are talking about Quebec.

So if the dog gets good at agility.. and the Regionals are held somewhere with BSL.. You can't go.. Or it's held somewhere okay, you make it to nationals and then can't go because it's somewhere with BSL.

Ultimate in depressing for many competitors last year.. AAC National was in Ontario, so there were dogs that couldn't participate sadly.

Shouldn't be ones first concern on picking a breed.. but it may be something to consider up here depending upon where you want to go in the future of sports with it. I'm sure other venues here have similar issues, but I'm more active in agility than anything else.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm All Ears

Sheltie grooming also depends a lot on how correct your dog's coat is. Trey's got a harsh outer coat and a thick undercoat which is more correct. he is so hard to give a bath because it takes so long for the water to reach his skin. And then it takes forever to dry once you do get him soaked. Nikki's hair is shorter and finer and dries faster, but it also tangles easily. When they blow their coat twice a year, you get these hairball tumbleweeds everywhere, lol.

Paps are a much easier breed to groom as they have no undercoat. Makes life much easier.

I'd just really think about what type of dog you want to work with. Terriers and herders are two very different personalities. You're going to be living with this dog more than training with it, most likely so I'd just go for the breed that fits better with my lifestyle.

Not that I'm not biased or anythig, but... I'd probably get a sheltie if I were in your situation.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Twin 2.0

Please do not buy into the "mini" Aussie thing...there are plenty of smaller standard sized (and appropriately health tested) Aussies out there to pretty well fit anyone's needs. The females tend to be much smaller than the males anyway; I believe Sawyer's sister was only around 40-ish pounds or so. (they're both rescued strays, so I don't know her well) He's a smaller male at 50lbs and 21".

Otherwise an Aussie would probably fit with what you're looking for.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Let it be

I wouldn't get a Mini Aussie either. An old friend just recently was given one who the owners were going to put to sleep. She's a 7 month old bundle of crazy and is lovely but I've met several others who were not very pleasant. Which is sad because I personally find Aussies to be wonderful dogs.

As stated earlier figure out what type of dog will fit your lifestyle more. Herders and terriers aren't a like. Terriers can be great for you or a total nightmare and the same goes for the herding breeds. I'm going to say Sheltie, but that's probably due to growing up with one.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Kotah BEAR

I agree about not looking into the Mini Aussies.

I think a Sheltie would be very good for your son and they would be great for agility, rally, obedience, etc.
Lovely little dogs.

Also like PWC suggested, a corgi. Love Corgis.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Please do not buy into the "mini" Aussie thing...there are plenty of smaller standard sized (and appropriately health tested) Aussies out there to pretty well fit anyone's needs. The females tend to be much smaller than the males anyway; I believe Sawyer's sister was only around 40-ish pounds or so. (they're both rescued strays, so I don't know her well) He's a smaller male at 50lbs and 21".

Otherwise an Aussie would probably fit with what you're looking for.
Working line Aussies tend to be smaller than thier show line cousins too. My boy is 21ish inches at the shoulder and 32.7 pounds. (He got weighed today) He just turned a year, but I can't see him getting too much heavier either. Granted Django is a shelter dog, but he orginally came from a farm and I'm pretty sure that his family worked. I've met several farm Aussies and they are similar in size to my boy.