Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Default Clone your favourite pooch!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3378490.ece

http://news.scotsman.com/world/Dogcl...der.3784845.jp
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh good. Now Beau and I can amass our army to take over the world.

No seriously, that's just kind of creepy. It won't be the same dog, just the same genetics. Plus that's a LOT of money and there are plenty of new dogs to share your life with. Different, yes, but I find them to be equally as worthy.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

They were already doing it with cats . . . dogs were just more difficult.

Since it can be done, it will be done, I'm afraid. There will always be some fool who thinks they can resserect their pet and will pay for it.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Felurian

I've asked it before: How do you clone a soul?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-19-2008, 04:54 PM
swimming upstream

exactly Renee!
Old 02-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Old 02-19-2008, 07:04 PM
~Lisa~

Honestly its just a tad creepy to me. I would love to have blaze around for the rest of my life, or I would have loved to keep our other dogs CJ1, Lassie, CJ2,& Sweetie. But death happens, its unrealistic to have them cloned and expect them to be the same dog. I think if Blaze died and then I had him cloned after a year, to even have him back int he house again would scream the horror movie "Pet cemetary" to me lol
Old 02-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Quote of the year material!

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Just try me..

For me, I think the soul is part of the individual not a part of the biology. So while you may get a dog that looks similar (they will not look the same.. markings will be different) and may have similar features when it comes to temperament-It will most definitly NOT be the same dog.

Scamper, one of the top barrel horses of all time was a gelding. So they cloned him so his clone can breed to pass on his skills. They are not sure if the colt will show the same promise in the ring, as his predecessor. And they have commented how the new horse is NOT the same as the old one.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankstar View Post
Honestly its just a tad creepy to me. I would love to have blaze around for the rest of my life, or I would have loved to keep our other dogs CJ1, Lassie, CJ2,& Sweetie. But death happens, its unrealistic to have them cloned and expect them to be the same dog. I think if Blaze died and then I had him cloned after a year, to even have him back int he house again would scream the horror movie "Pet cemetary" to me lol
There's definately the creepy aspect there . . . I don't adopt look-a-like animals for that reason. Though piebald animals don't have the same markings at their clone parents . . .

What really disturbs me about this, is that since people pay for it . . . odds are, no matter how many times you tell them, they think they're getting the same animal . . . or one so similar they won't be able to tell. As we know from human identical twins, however, genetic duplicates are not exactly alike, or even necessiarly all that similar. And clones are LESS alike than identical twins . . . they don't share mitochondrial DNA, they have different womb enviroments (which makes a difference in terms of which genes are switched on). Cloning breeding stock makes some sense . . . but cloning companion animals really doesn't . . . unless people are happy with the illusion. But it stikes me as unfair to the cloned animal . . . and a scam on the prospective owner . . . that on some level everyone wants the dead animal back . . . not a mere genetic duplicate . . .

Now, cloning children, that REALLY gives me the creeps. Unlike a dog, that will never know that you want it to be just like its genetic donor . . . a child will know. And people will be unable to help themselves from wanting this child to be just like the last one . . . . UGH . . .

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com