Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-23-2008, 03:38 PM
feel the magic

Ella's elbow is a deep pyoderma. She also has a small derma mass on her right side (2 cm). She's on simplicef for 3 weeks, and if that doesn't clear it up, then I'm going to have them do some skin testing.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

Poor thing I hope it heals up for her soon!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
Ella's elbow is a deep pyoderma. She also has a small derma mass on her right side (2 cm). She's on simplicef for 3 weeks, and if that doesn't clear it up, then I'm going to have them do some skin testing.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully it will clear up soon. The Merck manual says that cephalosporin (Simplicef) should do the job.

Are you washing the site of infection daily (as per the MVM)?

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2008, 05:35 PM
feel the magic

well, no. Oops! I'm a bad mom-lady!
But I am spraying it daily and when I spray it, she doesn't lick at it throughout the day. The licking mainly only occurs at night. I don't know why.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

I had a foster in that licked an area like this ..... I think it was mostly a nervous reaction . I put Goldbond powder on it .... whether it was that or TLC it cleared up .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I had a foster in that licked an area like this ..... I think it was mostly a nervous reaction . I put Goldbond powder on it .... whether it was that or TLC it cleared up .
Haha. That is brilliant. I could totally see myself doing that.

I probably try to treat way too many things at home.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:16 PM
The BEST for your puppy..

Default Ella must have some kind of allergy problem...

I sure do like a product called EMT gel.. It is a collegen product that sits on the hot spot??? area for 3-4 days.. ( all natural) Makes a protective area.
***you can get it from Revival Heath... ( on the net)
This will help the area to heal. This will NOT stop what allergens are hitting her.

My web site has some info on NuVET Plus - another supplement that is great for allergies ... I am a rep for them.. Many of my doggie hotel customers are on this product. ( about .54 cents per day)
I am putting in a PLUG for NuVET only because I know it would help.
Guarnateed or your money back..

Anyway, She could be allergic to Environmental allergens beside food allergien.
NuVEt will help her to build the immune system and fight off the allergies..

Edited by a moderator: please keep your website links to the website forum

Last edited by Saje; 02-26-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:52 PM
user not active

Was doing some searching for this illness and stumbled upon this thread.

Did your pup's elbows ever get any better?

I am having a terrible time dealing with the same thing. First it started as just concrete elbows, then progressed into obsessive compulsive licking.

I treated it with different kinds of creams, antibiotics, etc (After numerous vet visits). Right now my best option is to use e-collar for every single moment when I can not be around him to supervise him (including at night). The disheartening thing for me happens after the treatment is finished. As soon as I take off the e-collar he starts to furiously lick the same spots, often to the point of bleeding. He doesn't do it right away, sometimes he won't lick it for a week, sometimes he will lick it the moment he gets to be alone.

Right now I'm pretty much at loss as to what to do. I'm afraid that he will get a gangrene infection if he keeps licking the wound and I don't like him having to spend the rest of his life in an e-collar.

It seems I have ruled out the physical aspect (given the treatments and their results) so that leaves mental issues. Once again, I am at a loss to find the exact issue.

He has the free roam of the house all day/night (has not been crated in more then 4 years), he gets about 2-3 hours of walking/running/playing time outside with me, we meet lot's of dogs and people who he interacts with daily.

Can it be that as he got older he just developed a doggie version of OCD?

We are almost 6 years old and this has only started around about a year ago with just recently intensifying at a rapid pace.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Felurian

This is going to sound crazed, but have you thought about saturating the area (avoiding open sore areas directly, of course) with bitter apple?

And how about finding something to distract him when he starts the licking - a stuffed, frozen Kong or bone filled with some sort of treat and frozen?

I know when my little Pittie, Tallulah, gets overwrought (Terrier frenzy ), I used Nikki's trick with Buddy and started telling her to go get her toy. She'd go get whatever her favorite was at the moment, or whatever she found first, bring it to me and she'd calm down. Now, when she gets overexcited, she goes on her own and gets a toy. You might try that when you see him start to lick.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-28-2008, 06:28 AM
feel the magic

Once the infection clears up, try keeping it moistened with bag balm.
This time of year calls for dry skin, and my vet said that with concrete elbows, it's always good to use bag balm to keep them moist.
I have been bad about keeping bag balm on Ella's elbows. I need to, though.