Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Does size count?

Do you ever get comments or looks because of how short or how young you are, and the size of your dogs?

I'm 5'3'', and I weigh about 110 lbs. The other day I was walking my friend's two huskies in the park, who are about 45 lbs and 70 lbs. The park was pretty busy, it was a nice day, and there were a lot of families and people walking...I got a lot of looks and quite a few comments about how big the dogs were and how short I was and how young I was and how I ever managed to keep them in control. These dogs are very well behaved, and I'm around them alot, and they respect me and they listen to me very well.

Does anyone else ever get comments like these?

Thanks,
Razzmatazz

Life sucks sometimes.
But you have to take the good with the bad,
Smile when you're sad,
Love what you've got, and remember what you had...
Always forgive but never forget,
Learn from mistakes but never regret.
People change. Things go wrong. Just remember.
LIFE. GOES. ON.

Last edited by Razzmatazz; 02-18-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Are you dead yet?

I'm well over 6 feet tall when I wear shoes (other than dinky flipflops lol) and my BCs are extremely small in comparison.. especially Eve. I have to admit if there's anything I could change about her as a service dog, it'd be to make her much larger. But I do appreciate how portable she is.

But.. nobody ever wonders how I can control Zaphod, lol!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Let it be

Yes! When I walk Spanky, Bandit, Sport and Miley. Sport is fairly huge (comes up passed my hips) so I look like such a dork. People are always "Paige you are so tiny!"

Doesn't help one of my favorite breeds is the Irish Wolfhound. Oh boy. If I could I would.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Top Dog

Yes .... people are always saying that Ollie is bigger than I am ....I've shrunk to about 5' and we do weigh the same !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Puppy Dog

I work for a rescue organization, and I get even more comments when I'm walking even larger dogs that are 80-110 lbs.

The huskies combined are more then I weigh, and could easily pull me across the street if they felt like it.

My friend was fostering a Bernese Mountain Dog mix that was about 140 lbs (we're not sure exactly what he was mixed with) and she only weighs about 120 lbs. But again, I don't think it really matters how big the dog is...

Life sucks sometimes.
But you have to take the good with the bad,
Smile when you're sad,
Love what you've got, and remember what you had...
Always forgive but never forget,
Learn from mistakes but never regret.
People change. Things go wrong. Just remember.
LIFE. GOES. ON.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

All the time! It was worse if I took two dogs out at once lol

Lucas was 100lbs about and I'm about 110-115lbs. People always look at me like i'm nutz, especially since I look like a 6th grader. I'm 19 DARNIT! One guy even told me I should never walk such a big dog because he WILL go after an animal and I wouldn't be able to control him. All this while Luke was being so good and their little ra.....dog....was being a monster.

Believe me though, after walking a lot of dogs at the HS who are big and strong and love to pull, I can def. hold my own!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:50 PM
treehugging clicker freak

*I* don't think I'm " small " but when I'm walking Missy, especially if I'm walking another big dog at the same time, I do get comments sometimes. Mostly positive, but sometimes people say stuff like 'that little girl shouldn't be walking such big dogs... what if blah blah blah ' Which is annoying. But believe you and me, they're walking better than the 6ft man who walks his little JRT x by my house!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 02-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Jack 27/09/94-06/12/07

Did with all my Airedales I'm 5'1''. I've never thought Airedales were that big but they tend to walk with stiff straight legs so they seem taller.

My Daughter Heather is 10 but tiny we've had loads of comments when she holds Sally's (Mum and Dads Airedale) lead. It drives us all mad Sally behaves perfectly even to the point where if Heather is running with her Sally still runs at her side without pulling when she could obviously run much faster. Niether are ever more than a few feet away from an adult but we still get people muttering about people letting children walk big dogs.

spare a click please?
Frid says "Thank you for helping me to grow"
Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Agility freak!

With Zoey, not a chance... After all, I'm about 140lbs, and 5 foot 6 or 7... And she's 13 inches...

But I know there are people at my obedience club who think I shouldn't have Bella, because she's "to big for me to handle"... But I do it well. I just need good footing...

I don't really walk Bella in public a lot, just because of her aggression issues, but I have been seen walking Bella and Zoey at the same time, and recieved some funny looks... (Zoey's 13 inches, Bella's 26)...

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 02-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

I can easily handle a 90 or 100 lb dog. Now, i'm not way small (5'7" and about 140) but i've still got the "whose walking who" comments if i have a big dog that pulls with me.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com