Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Dog Sites and Pet Sites

Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Show Dog

Default Inexpensive ways to market your website

I had seen a thread like this on anotherwebsite and i thought it would an interesting discussion here.

I thought that many of us could benefit from this discussion.

Here goes. I market mostly through SEO. I do it myself and while it has taken a while to move up I am on the first page of SERPS for some competitive key phrases. SEO, if you do it yourself is the ultimate in sweat equity, adds a lot of value at little cost.

I am not selling services as an SEO expert. This is for discussion purposes only.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Show Dog

Default advertising that did not work for me

I tried PPC early on in my websties life and while it generated a lot of traffic, the return on investment was not where it needed to be. One of these days I will go back to it again.

I think one of the things that worries me is click fraud or folks forming clubs and click on each others advertising links.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Pet Business

I have been doing SEO myself for a few months now, do you have any tips on how to improve my rating? Do you use a software program? I think that this could be a useful discussion, so I hope more people participate.
I also used PPC and had the exact same fears about possible scams, but because my keywords are very targeted, it actually worked out all right. THanks for starting this thread.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I have absolutely no idea how to even begin to build a website let alone try and market it. I want to start a website about Bamm that logs all his training sessions and things I'm learning as I work towards my dog trainer certification. I just have no idea where to start.

I'll pay attention to this thread though... might learn something
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 PM
The BEST for your puppy..

Default I love my web site thru Vistaprint.com - I don't get anything for telling you this/

I run a doggie hotel and I love my vistaprint web hosting. It cost about 20.00per month for the 5 pages. I am not a computer person and I was able to do it all myself...
Easy templetes to complete... I called one time for some help. They answered my question right away and looked at my web site with me... at the same time.

My tags ( names and words I put into my pages) give me GREAT top or near top hits...

Anyway, Just wanted you to know about them. I have been buying business cards from them for years. They started selling web sites about 8 months ago. Before that I had Yahoo and I hated it. ( too hard for me)

I am marie of the Doggie Chalet

link removed by a moderator

Any questions, Just ask
Old 02-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I have absolutely no idea how to even begin to build a website let alone try and market it. I want to start a website about Bamm that logs all his training sessions and things I'm learning as I work towards my dog trainer certification. I just have no idea where to start.

I'll pay attention to this thread though... might learn something
skittledoo, what you want to do lends itself perfectly to starting a blog. The even better news is you don't have to know anything but how to type to start one. I would recommend you go to https://www.blogger.com/start and open up an account with them. You could also open one at http://wordpress.com/ but if you ever want to start monetizing your site blogger is better.

Either site is pretty self explanatory in how to set up and maintain your blog.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Show Dog

Default skittledoo

I would recommend blogger as well. What you want to do will fit into a blog very nicely. Blogger is sper easy to use and to set up. You should be up and running on it in less than an hour.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Show Dog

Default Improving your ranking on SERPs

There are a few things that you can do to improve your SEO results or ranking on the SERPs.

The best thing to do is to build links into your site with the keywords that you have selected and put into your title tags. They should match exactly including if they are capalized or not. To do this you can either blog, build a squidoo lens or hub pages.

The next thing you can do is make your site larger with the pages linking back to your homepage. Add useful content that your visitors would like. I use articles and videos (that I pull of of youtube).

Take a look at your keywords and see if yo are going after key pharses that are too challening. If so nest your keywords in less competitive keywords. For example you want dog collars but your site just does not have enough umph use the keyword nylon dog collar. That way for at least your title page you get credit for nylong dog collar and dog collar. Build links slowly for both terms and you will get there.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Workin' Dog

I work on a small business site for my family business. After we went through and optimized for the search engines, our page rankings went way up on terms really relevant to our products and industry. Our competitors are paying dollars per click on terms that we have first page rankings on for free! As hanslynch says, it does take time and some effort.

The biggest things in my experience are title tags and h1 tags. Meaning, the text that looks like the main title of the page should be inside an "h1 tag" and your page needs a "title", which is not an element that is visible on the page. It's amazing how many people's pages are missing titles, which is one of the main ways that the search engines decide what the page is about. If you don't know how to edit these things, do a little digging in your website creation tool. Most software has options for this stuff, but people don't realize they should be looking for it. If you are not sure what the difference is, you can give them identical text. FYI, the title is normally the link text that you see in the google search results pages, so a well written title can really drive more people into your site.

One other thing everyone should know about is google analytics. This is a super cool FREE tool for your site that will give you tons of information about who is coming to your site, from where, and what they are doing while they are there. It is way better than the analytics that normally are provided by your web host and if you are running a google adwords campaign, they sync together really nicely.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Show Dog

Default Google Analytics

I use GA as well and it meets my needs. I have priced out other analytic services and the best ones start at about 800 dollars a month.

I eventually want to use them when my business can support a cost like that. Apparently it gives you evn more precise data. We shall see. For now GA is what I am using.