Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 AM
in Canada

Default Doug Morrison? Any information

I know I am probably opening a can of worms here, but does anyone have any information on Doug Morrison? I have searched and found nothing on this site.

All I know is Martin Richling (someone I read about on here) has a link to him on his site.

I am interested in finding more info on Morrison because he is based in my area.

His site is : http://www.dougmorrisonk-9development.com/index.html
Old 02-14-2008, 12:14 PM
coonhound crazy

If he's got Richling's seal of approval, I've got three words:

DO NOT WANT!

Old 02-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

agreed, if he's cut from the same cloth as Richling

I have two words........RUN AWAY

I am from Ontario, what kind of trainer are you looking for, I know many excellent trainers in the GTA.

I just looked at his website, thats just great.............he's in my backyard, just ducky. Just what we all need another one that considers clicker training and Operant Condition and Positive methods to be bribing a dog............to bad he like his peers don't step into the 21 century and get an education.

Lovely, now that has put a damper on my day and it was so good up until now.

Last edited by adojrts; 02-14-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:32 PM
in Canada

Is Martin Richling still on this forum?

I am interested in reading about him.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

Just out of curiosity, does anyone looking at the front page of his site really think that 14 year old dog is "having fun". It looks like a stress case to me.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:05 PM
coonhound crazy

I think Richling and his minions have left us. Thank goodness.

Really, he's not worth your time, honestly. You can search back on this forum for his name and see all the drama that he and his followers caused once upon a time.

As for the picture on that page....a lot of dogs are somewhat stressed by the teeter their first few times on it. I don't think that's the picture I would have picked as my "Look I'm having FUN with my dog!" illustration, but I wouldn't read to much in to it.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

BB, I saw that too, doesn't look like a happy camper at all.
Houndlove, sorry I don't agree, if the teeter is trained carefully the dogs experience no stress, whether it be a little dog that has to ride it down and hold the contact or a larger dog that rocks back, tips it and then holds the contact once it is down.

I agree, Richling and his followers are gone much to the delight of most of us (if not all of us), although it was funny and somewhat entertaining at times.
But over all it was just plain sad.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:52 PM
coonhound crazy

Well, I was just saying that a dog looking like that on a teeter isn't evidence for the dog being beaten about the head and neck with a blunt object. In and of itself just being on it is enough for a dog who hasn't been painstakingly trained to give that look. So, basically, evidence of poor training yes, and a stupid picture to use as an example of "I'm having FUN with my dog!" because clearly only one creature in that picture is having fun, but even the most positively-trained dog if you stuck him up on a teeter like that without preparing them properly would look like that.

Not that I'm defending that guy, at all. But I find that picture less troubling than ones I've seen used as supposed evidence of someone's great training where the dog is just sitting there on flat ground looking scared crapless because in those I know there's no other reason for that look than fear of the handler, period.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndlove View Post
Well, I was just saying that a dog looking like that on a teeter isn't evidence for the dog being beaten about the head and neck with a blunt object. In and of itself just being on it is enough for a dog who hasn't been painstakingly trained to give that look. So, basically, evidence of poor training yes, and a stupid picture to use as an example of "I'm having FUN with my dog!" because clearly only one creature in that picture is having fun, but even the most positively-trained dog if you stuck him up on a teeter like that without preparing them properly would look like that.

Not that I'm defending that guy, at all. But I find that picture less troubling than ones I've seen used as supposed evidence of someone's great training where the dog is just sitting there on flat ground looking scared crapless because in those I know there's no other reason for that look than fear of the handler, period.
Agreed, thats very true. And your right it is a stupid photo to use but there are much worse as you have stated.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
If you believe in clicker training and food reward training, this site is NOT for you......

Dr. Ian Dunbar suggests that most owners don't know how to praise their dogs enough! In order to get their dog to work, therefore he advocates food as a reward.

I disagree with his premise. A well qualified Instructor / trainer can and should be able to show the student how to motivate their dog, using other methods.

Be forewarned, the words Positive Reinforcement, Luring, and Operant Conditioning are code words for bribing with food.

After the first lesson your dog should heel, sit, and down on command.

Food bribery creates aggression!!!!
That would be a red flag right there!!!!!!