Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStr80 View Post

I will never go though that again! Yes, I loved Misty with all of my heart! BUT -- what I got was a sick puppy/dog in my lifetime.

For now on in the future I'll be sticking with rescuing
Ummm a dog from a rescue is healthier. Most (if not statitcally all) dogs in rescue are from puppy mills and byb. So I don't know how a rescue dog is any different than a shelter dog.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStr80 View Post
Also lemme tell you this. I learned my lesson when I had my Miniature Schnauzer from getting her out of a classified that was the cheap route, I was only 16-17 years old.

I will never go though that again! Yes, I loved Misty with all of my heart! BUT -- what I got was a sick puppy/dog in my lifetime.

For now on in the future I'll be sticking with rescuing
And how pray tell does that guarantee a healthier dog? You could get a dog predisposed to just as many problems from a shelter pound or rescue. Taking it for free from someone with an oops litter is no better or worse for pup health for future possible issues.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Obessed with Dogs

that's a interesting perspective on how you put it, I think it's just matter how you pamper and how well you take good care of the dog/puppies medically, mentally. I don't know that much about breeding

Anyways.. You have a good point! But their gotta be a reason why they'd put "Free Kitty" or "Free Puppy" in the ads. Why do they do that? Could the pup/kitty have medical problems?

Frankie's Myspace - Misty's Memorial Blog
Lacey ~ Misty
Old 02-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
Sorry I disappointed yall. I dont have thousands or hundreds of dollars to spend on a dog from a breeder.
I am glad you want to see her grow up but I dont like being told its a shame I got a pup the way I did.
Then don't ask for help (a LOT of help), then go about things the complete opposite way. You wasted a lot of our time. It is a shame you went the route you did.

Hopefully you don't go around telling everyone you got your pups from a breeder, or the classified. At least don't do that? Then, you would be supporting BYB, in a way at least. And hopefully, you have the money to pay to spay and vet and feed/house/toys etc TWO puppies. Since you don't have the money for one pup from a good breeder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Really I don't see how taking these pups is any diff from getting pups from a shelter. The owners who were giving the pups away for FREE (so no byb here). If the owners had taken the pups to the shelter (where the shelter would have had to house them and feed them etc etc) and Dakotah had gotten them then, would that have been ok?

Really I am more impressed by owners who have oops litters and take the responsibility to find homes, vs just dumping their problems on a rescue or shelter.
She would have given money to a rescue/shelter then. At least in that case, she could've helped that shelter out a bit.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Ummm a dog from a rescue is healthier. Most (if not statitcally all) dogs in rescue are from puppy mills and byb. So I don't know how a rescue dog is any different than a shelter dog.
Other than good rescues probably know more about their dogs then a shelter, there's not much of a difference. Though some rescues seem to have papered, pure bred dogs.

But yeah, health wise, you risk the same things from a shelter dog as a rescue dog as a byb dog.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
Then don't ask for help (a LOT of help), then go about things the complete opposite way. You wasted a lot of our time. It is a shame you went the route you did.

Hopefully you don't go around telling everyone you got your pups from a breeder, or the classified. At least don't do that? Then, you would be supporting BYB, in a way at least. And hopefully, you have the money to pay to spay and vet and feed/house/toys etc TWO puppies. Since you don't have the money for one pup from a good breeder.

She would have given money to a rescue/shelter then. At least in that case, she could've helped that shelter out a bit.
But if the shelter had had to pay for the pups vet bills food, and care (and take up space for other dogs who don't have responsible people...) why would her few dollars be a good thing? Do shelters MAKE money on dogs? Not here they don't. The pups could have been placed with a rescue.. but then someone else would still have had to pay and look after them.

Really we all complain that people don't take responsibility for the lives they bring into the world. Then when they do.. we say they should have gone and dumped the pups.

I really don't understand all your issues. Am I a bit surprised, yes. I am disapointed, no. Do I think Dakotah will be a good person for nina.. YES. Do I think nina will be a good dog for Dakotah? No idea, I wasn't there, and its not really my business.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
Other than good rescues probably know more about their dogs then a shelter, there's not much of a difference. Though some rescues seem to have papered, pure bred dogs.

But yeah, health wise, you risk the same things from a shelter dog as a rescue dog as a byb dog.
Yes and those papered pure bred dogs come from millers or BYB. Any good breeder would take the dog back... so any dog in a shelter, with papers..is not from a good breeder. (or from a bad rescue as they didn't contact the breeder)
Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
But if the shelter had had to pay for the pups vet bills food, and care (and take up space for other dogs who don't have responsible people...) why would her few dollars be a good thing? Do shelters MAKE money on dogs? Not here they don't. The pups could have been placed with a rescue.. but then someone else would still have had to pay and look after them.

Really we all complain that people don't take responsibility for the lives they bring into the world. Then when they do.. we say they should have gone and dumped the pups.

I really don't understand all your issues. Am I a bit surprised, yes. I am disapointed, no. Do I think Dakotah will be a good person for nina.. YES. Do I think nina will be a good dog for Dakotah? No idea, I wasn't there, and its not really my business.
Thanks.
I think Nina would be a good dog for me.
At least someone isn't disappointed in me.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:

How did they take responsibility for the lives they brought into the world? They barely know Dakotah and her family. They met her for what a day? That's doesn't show much for concern to me. From what she wrote, it doesn't sound like they gave much thought into where those dogs went. Doesn't sound very responsible at all. Sounds like they wanted to avoid paying a shelter fee to me.

If she didn't take both those pups would they end up in a shelter? I don't know, possibly. If those people where looking to avoid the shelter fee though, then they wouldn't. If she would've gotten a shelter dog instead (possibly an older dog) would she be better off? IDK, possibly. Maybe she wouldn't have two puppies though or found a dog that actually fit her family. Again depends on the shelter or rescue and how good they are.

I'm also a bit concerned she got two puppies at once, with little dog experience anyways, but that's besides the point.

I hope she does well with these pups, I do. But mainly for the pups sake. I wish she wouldn't of wasted our time helping her look for shelter dogs, the random threads about all different types of breeds, etc. But she did. And I am disappointed. And I think it is a shame she went the route she did. Hopefully she takes advice on training. But we'll see if she does, or if she does this again.

Ok I'm done I swear. I just get a bit upset when someone asks for help, a lot of help, and then doesn't care in the end. Just get's that puppy fever. *sigh*
Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
Sorry I disappointed yall. I dont have thousands or hundreds of dollars to spend on a dog from a breeder.
I am glad you want to see her grow up but I dont like being told its a shame I got a pup the way I did.
Then why did you spend so much time asking us about breeders? Just wondering. Valid question. I know this board is here for informational purposes and that you were probably just testing the waters in a bunch of different breeds, but WHY take up so much of our time and make us think you're serious about wanting to go about getting a well-bred dog or a rescue dog, and then grab a couple free puppies out of the classifieds? I just don't understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Nina and Logan are in a home and no longer in danger of being dumped at a shelter, but I fail to understand why after all this time, you succumbed to puppy fever.

I agree with Dekka that it's respectable that the people who had the oops litter took the time to find homes for their puppies, but it's not respectable that they would place littermates in the same household, a male and a female, without first altering them or requiring the owner to do so.

Whatever, though. What's done is done, and I know for sure you aren't going to be taking those babies back so I for one am here if you ever need help.. I've raised a few pups too and cattledog mix puppies are definitely going to be a handful!