Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Thumbs up LA City Council Approves Spay-Neuter Ordinance!!!

What a huge step in the right direction!!!!!

Decided only hours ago:
Quote:
Most dogs and cats in the city of Los Angeles will have to be spayed or neutered by the time they are four months old under an ordinance that received final approval Tuesday from the Los Angeles City Council.
FULL ARTICLE: http://www.knbc.com/news/15283021/detail.html

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Back of the Pack

How is this the right direction?
Most dogs and cats aren't fully developed by that point... you're removing hormones needed to "grow up" before they have the chance to do so...

So what... some puppy millers will stop? strays won't reproduce?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Bored Now.

Oh BARF.

Because more unenforceable legislation is the answer.

Did you even notice this?

Quote:
. . . and animals for which there are valid breeding permits.
PUPPY. MILLS.

The real problem is NOT being solved here. There is a DEMAND for puppies, and that demand will be filled somehow, whether with BYBs circumventing the system or with puppy mills who have a "valid breeding license," or people transporting puppies from other areas there.

*headdesk*

Quote:
LA City Council Approves Spay-Neuter Ordinance
Ordinance Drafted to Reduce Number Of Shelter Animals

POSTED: 12:35 pm PST February 12, 2008
UPDATED: 1:01 pm PST February 12, 2008
[NEWSVINE: LA City Council Approves Spay-Neuter Ordinance] [DELICIOUS: LA City Council Approves Spay-Neuter Ordinance] [DIGG: LA City Council Approves Spay-Neuter Ordinance] [FACEBOOK: LA City Council Approves Spay-Neuter Ordinance] [REDDIT: LA City Council Approves Spay-Neuter Ordinance] [RSS] [PRINT: LA City Council Approves Spay-Neuter Ordinance] [EMAIL: LA City Council Approves Spay-Neuter Ordinance]
LOS ANGELES -- Most dogs and cats in the city of Los Angeles will have to be spayed or neutered by the time they are four months old under an ordinance that received final approval Tuesday from the Los Angeles City Council.

Story: Carson Shelter Scrutinized After Puppy's Death

The ordinance is intended to reduce the number of animals in the city's shelters and the number that are euthanized, which costs the city about $2 million a year.

City Councilman Bill Rosendahl was the only member to oppose the ordinance. During last week's debate, he said that at four months, dogs are too immature to be fixed.

Animal Services General Manager Ed Boks estimated that it will cost $380,000 to $400,000 to implement the ordinance.

Owners who do not comply with the law will receive information on subsidized sterilization services. If their pets are not fixed within 60 days, owners could face a $100 fine or eight hours of community service. A third offense could result in a $500 fine or 40 hours of community service.

The ordinance exempts animals who have competed in shows or sporting competitions; dogs in the process of earning agility, carting, herding, protection, rally, hunting, working or other titles; guide, signal or service dogs; dogs that are used by law enforcement agencies; and animals for which there are valid breeding permits.

Two years ago the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors implemented a similar ordinance requiring most dogs in unincorporated areas to be neutered by four months of age.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Jerk.

Danm Communists. Im going to go thow up now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Back of the Pack

PFFF... why bother to even file for a permit...

It says dogs competing in almost any dog sport or for almost any title...
Go to one show or event every yeard regardless of how well you do just say hey I'm trying to get this, this is the only event that fit my schedule.

You don't even need a purebred to get titles in sports like agility as there are competition groups that will give titles to mixed breed dogs.

EDIT:
Went and read it again
Quote:
The ordinance exempts animals who have competed in shows or sporting competitions;
Doesn't say anything about having to earn a title.. just says they must have competed in...
Now you're just going to get some people showing up at these kinds of events who have no business being there just to say they competed to be exempt from having to fill out some paperwork and continue on there merry way...

What an awesome piece of law... it makes so much sence. I can see why you support it Summit as it's clearly well thought out, practical and in the best interest of both dog and owner just like alot of the other nonsence you've posted here.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Twin 2.0

You just don't get it do you? WE LOVE DOGS. WE DON'T WANT THEM TO BECOME EXTINCT. Therefore, this is yet another crap piece of legislation that is only going to serve to hurt the dogs and people of the law-abiding variety and do little to nothing to combat the ones that are the actual problem.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

I'm afraid this won't affect puppy mills one iota ! I also think that it's too young to fix .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-12-2008, 03:38 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Sad. Its a horible way to try to control over population

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Back of the Pack

Actually you know what while sitting here I've thought of the perfect way to make sure no dog is every abused, neglected, mistread, overbread or anything bad ever again.

Starting today I'm going to create a petition to the government to kill everybody. That way we can be sure that no dog will ever have anything bad happen to it again. Of course we'll have to petition alot of governments and I'll need some volunteers to kill themselves so we can fabricate some numbers to show how it has dramatically improved the quality of canine life.
Then we'll get somebody who bought a veterinary degree online to talk to politians to demonstrate how killing everyone would definately save alot of needless animal deaths and cruelty. It will also save on legal fees for having to try these people in municipal courts so I guess we'll need somebody to pretend to be an accountant.

So come on everybody... if you really love dogs then go home and kill yourself (Don't forget to send a message saying you're going to do so though... otherwise how would we know?).
Old 02-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Twin 2.0

*gasp* That's brilliant, Sharky! And here I thought those tendencies over the years meant that something was wrong with me, now I realize that it was my inner conscience guiding me in the right direction towards being the perfect animal lover! Score!