Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 06-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

I find different dogs react to cutting past the quick differently. With the Newf's I don't think they even noticed the times I cut past their quick. I have also had some dogs in for a pedicure and bath and never noticed I cut past a quick until I saw blood in the bathtub. Some dogs just don't seem to notice, and some dogs like my Rottweiler will squel and squawk if you even dropped a cotton ball on her paw attention hounds
Old 06-30-2005, 11:06 AM
no touchy

I haven't clipped my girls nails yet. We have either the vet or this dog grooming place do it. I am thinking of getting a nail clipper, just so that when they just need a teeny bit clipped off, I can do it myself without spending the money on somebody else doing it, and they seem calmer with me fiddling with their paws instead of someone they don't see often.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

I gave both of my dogs baths today and they got their nails cut...on Rosco, my older dog, I came really close to clipping his quick when he yelped and pulled his foot back, I didn't get it thankfully, but when I was clipping the puppie's dewclaw, I got the quick, he didn't flinch. I don't know if it was because it was on the dew claw and he didn't feel it(?) or if he just didn't care. As soon as I saw the blood I got nervous, but he handled it like a champ, I def. need to pick up some quick stop in case that happens again. I was so nervous doing the puppies because his nails are black.

Is it true that the more you clip the dogs nail, the quick will regress and the nails won't grow as long? I think I read that somewhere but I'm not sure.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

corn flour is good too for steming the blood it helps it clot, just dip the injured nail into the cornflour.

Mo
Old 07-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Puppy Dog

I accidentally clipped a nail to far once...out came one drop of blood. Kairi didn't even realize what had happened. I'm scared more of the clippers now than she is... Why did they ever start making dogs with black nails?!