Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
We are Home.

Default Hair pulling?!?!?!?!

Ok so for the last few days Whisper will go up to Patches and start tugging on the hair on her side. We thought it was just a playful thing until tonight when I noticed a few spots where Patches is going bald (where Whisper is biting). I have no clue why she is doing this and never having a long haired dog before doesnt help. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

that is not nice at all! I have never heard of such a thing but then again most my dogs have been short haired. Hope you find some answers...maybe some bitter apple spray?

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
We are Home.

right now they are kept apart unless someone is watching them. The bitter apple never worked with her in the first place LOL.

And tell me bout it. Shes such a nice little demon. and same here about the short haireds

Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Squishy face

Hmmm I know that guinea pigs will sometimes chew off each other's hair (its called "barbering") and that its usually due to stress, but I've never heard of that behavior in dogs. Maybe the chewing dog is bored and gets upset that the hairy dog won't play?

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:59 PM
We are Home.

I doubt it because they play ALL THE TIME. Could it be somewhat related to the baby? I dunno Im just trying to think of logical explanations LOL.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Puppy Dog

Could Whisper be detecting a potential health problem in Patches?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Twin 2.0

Maybe get her checked over by a vet and then perhaps Whisper is just crazy enough to start nesting for you?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

My aunt's basenji, Hope, does that. Long haired dogs, especially dogs with long hairs in their tail. Its why Sarama isn't allowed to play with Hope (or more correctly, Hope with Sarama) when I come to visit. My aunt is afraid that Hope will try that on Sarama and Sarama will turn around and bite Hope's head off . . . which, I admit, I can't swear wouldn't happen.

Hope so traumatized a Golden that way that the poor Golden is afraid of Basenjis . . . .

My guess is that your dog has discovered a fun new game to play . . . not a nice game, but a game . . . does it get a rise out of Patches? Hope seems to do it because it drives other dogs insane . . . but she'll pull out clumps if given the chance.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-04-2008, 09:46 PM
We are Home.

See the weird thing is Patches doesnt do anything she just lays there and lets her do it. She may look back for a second but thats it. I swear I will have to get a vid of it to show yall then maybe it would explain it better. I know its not fleas because Patches is allergic to fleas so we would know it the second she had them other then that I cant think of any other reason why or any medical reason?

Old 02-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

That's alarming, that maybe a health reason for Patches, better see the vet immediately for few tests. I have seen much playful and smooth-play-biting dogs but not to extend it was seemed bald.