Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

Default Dogs have feelings too

LINKY

If you go to the link you can see a pic of the boy, the dog and the mother.

Dogs have feelings too: mauled boy's mum

By Clementine Cuneo

January 31, 2008 12:00pm

THE mother who vowed to keep the family dog which attacked her toddler says she is not a bad mum, and people should realise dogs have feelings too.

Alicia Cottier continues to blame her two-year-old son for the attack which happened after the toddler tugged on the animal's ears at their home in NSW's Hunter Valley.

"The dog was trying to protect herself, she's got feelings too, just like Noah does," Ms Cottier said.

Noah Newbold was bitten on the face by the family's 30kg mastiff-staffordshire cross, leaving puncture wounds in his cheeks and chin.

After wide reaction to the story about the attack in The Daily Telegraph yesterday, Ms Cottier pleaded with the public to believe she is not a negligent mum.

Her public plea came as she was inundated with calls from TV networks for interviews, and she was forced to call police when a crew from Sevenís Today Tonight refused to leave.

As another young boy recovered from a separate dog attack in hospital on the NSW North Coast yesterday, Ms Cottier told how her son was attacked as she text messaged on her mobile phone.

Warned

Ms Cottier said she noticed her son pulling at the dog's ears.

"I told him to stop or she'd bite him, then I kept texting . . . next thing I knew she had snapped," Ms Cottier said.

She said the five-year-old dog named Cassey was not vicious.

"It's not as bad as it looks. The dog just snapped at him and bit him," she said.

Ms Cottier said she would speak with her former partner, and he may consider taking the dog to his place. Otherwise, she said she would ensure the dog and the child were kept apart.

The incident sparked outrage and prompted hundreds of comments on The Daily Telegraph's website.

As of late yesterday, 70 per cent of the 4000 readers who voted in our online poll thought the dog should be removed.

Separate attack

Ms Cottier's defence of her decision to keep the dog came as another boy was recovering from a dog attack which left him in need of emergency surgery.

Rodney Beveridge, from Urbenville on the North Coast is still in shock after the dog ripped his arm open in a savage attack on Australia Day.

He had been playing at a friend's house when he went to go inside but was met at the door by a mastiff-rottweiler cross.

The dog rushed Rodney, biting his upper right arm, sinking its teeth to the bone and shaking him from side to side.

The dog will be put down.

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw
Old 02-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

That looks like a snap that connected, not an attack, to me. But then, its not a good photo . . . and oh . . . yes . . . I know that dogs can bite and NOT do much harm.

She should have separated them though.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

Had any of my Goldens snapped and bitten any of my 3 , I know my kids caused it !! I would not fault the dogs .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Puppy Dog

Good for that lady. I'm sick of people on the news saying their getting their dogs destroyed for snapping after little kids push their buttons.

BTW, Lilavati, your siggy made me laugh. >.< I love A Fish called Wanda.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Had any of my Goldens snapped and bitten any of my 3 , I know my kids caused it !! I would not fault the dogs .
Not at all the fault of the dog. On the other hand, when she saw the kid pulling on the dog's ears, she should have separated them.

But definatley not the dogs fault . . . and it doesn't look like a serious bite to me, except for the location.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
Not at all the fault of the dog. On the other hand, when she saw the kid pulling on the dog's ears, she should have separated them.
Thats what I was thinking, its HER fault, instead of blaming the dog
in this case she is blaming the child when its her responsibility
Old 02-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Are you dead yet?

I dunno if a 2 year old fully understands what a dog bite is. If it was a 6-7-8+ child I'd feel differently.

I can't blame the dog in the first incident in the slightest. A dog shouldn't be expected to tolerate that kind of crap from people, and that mother should have stood up for the dog and taken the kid away from her as soon as she noticed the ears being pulled.

The dog in the second incident, I'm afraid I'd have euthanized too. Unless you're extremely responsible about crating a dog when visitors are around, you can't have a dog that will savagely bite an "intruder" if you have kids with lots of little playmates running around. You just can't.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Squishy face

That article reminds me of a thread I read on another forum. Somebody owned a malamute who was a service/therapy dog who would lie there and let 16 kids pet him at once. The owners also had a kid with issues and developmental disabilities, and didn't understand things the same way a normal kid might. This kid picked up the malamute by his fur and threw him around, and the malamute bit the kid in the face. The kid needed stitches. The owners chose to keep the dog and not put it down because they thoroughly blamed themselves for the incident. This incident never made the news, probably because it wasn't a bully breed.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Kid deserved what he got. I bet he won't pull the dogs ears again.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 02-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Top Dog

i agree the kid really deserved that for pulling the dog's ears.