Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Staffie Mad

Post Has any one ever had a fear of dogs?

Up until 2 years ago I was absolutely terrified of dogs, and now I love them! I must thank my boyfriends parents dog Monty the beagle for helping me overcome my fear, if it wasnt for him I wouldn't have got past my fear, and I wouldn't have got shadow. I suppose, once you're around a dog, from when they're a puppy you get used to them, monty was such a biter, and I suppose that was my fear, being bitten by a dog, once thats happened, theres less to be scared of I guess. The only way to get past your fear is to face it. I used to get so scared I'd have to look out of the window of my house to make sure there were no dogs out on my street before I left the house. Just the sound of a dog barking would put me into a panic, heart racing. I just cant get over the difference in myself. And I have my teacher, Monty the beagle to thank for that.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Felurian

My Mom used to be terrified of German Shepherds. She began to get over the fear just a bit when my sister was a baby. Mom was taking a bike ride through the neighborhood with my sister in the baby seat on the back of the bike and she saw one of the neighbor's German Shepherds sitting in front of his house. She kept pedalling and told my sister to be very quiet, worried to death the dog was going to chase her. She lost sight of the dog, and turned to see if my sister was okay and was horrified to see the Shepherd trotting alongside the bike licking my sister's hand.

She got completely over it when we moved back east and her mother had a big Shepherd, Alpo, who was a sweetheart. We were staying with Nanny and Grandaddy while my Dad started his new job in North Carolina and found a place to stay. One day our cat, Gulliver, got out into the backyard and Alpo started trotting over toward him to check him out. It scared Mom - she thought poor 'Po was going to chase Gulliver - and she grabbed up the only thing handy (a dishcloth!) to chase Alpo away from Gully. He just sat down when she yelled, then ran from her when he saw her brandishing the dishcloth. It hit her then how ridiculous it was to be afraid and she fell in love . . . German Shepherds are still her favorite dog to this day.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-27-2005, 09:04 AM
no touchy

Nope, I've never been afraid of dogs. There are certain times when I'm weary of certain dogs - ones that are acting aggressively - but I've never been really scared of dogs. It's great that Monty helped you !
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Top Dog

I've never been really scared, mostly I didn't trust the dogs not to be agressive. My parents had an old friend who had a lab mix when I was young, and that dog was a bit agressive, so I guess I got it from there. I still liked dogs, I was just careful, and that's why I didn't adopt a shelter dog the first time - lots of them want attention so much that it's overwhelming when you are a bit scared of them.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Felurian

Probably the biggest reason I was never afraid of dogs comes from having a dog from the time I was two years old that scared everyone but me. Copper was a good sweet dog to me, but wouldn't tolerate anyone else . . . it undoubtedly made me feel like I had some kind of inside track with dogs, lol! Poor Copper. He was a real character. Just before I turned four one of the men who worked for my Uncle Miles took him to be a farm dog and he got to have quite a life. He and Copper got along just fine. It broke my heart though - I cried for days. I remember going to look at all sorts of dogs and just getting angry and telling my parents I didn't want another dog - I wanted Copper back.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Top Dog

I used to have a slight fear of large, playful dogs.Mostly german shepards to be exact. A family friend had an adult GSD named Rex. He would take Rex with him when he went fishing and that dog would be so hyper. Everytime someone would cast their line, Rex jumped into the water to try to retreive it, and he would always run around kicking up dirt and rocks on everyone who was trying to get some relaxation time. I know he would bark at me constantly and I was scared of his big, deep bark. Well, that all changed about 4 years ago when I went to visit my family for summer vacation. See, my grandparents in Europe had a sort of farm in the countryside and they had a lot of space for a dog. There's a field just to the front of their house where a lot of wolves roam. My cousin found a litter of baby wolves , and he thought that I would like a dog. Well, he was right. There were only two males, so he took one for himself and gave the other to me. Now this dog couldnt have been more than a month old, but he had the markings of a gsd. This lead me to believe that he is a wolf hybrid. I named him Medo, meaning little bear. Medo was the dog that stopped my fear of dogs and in one way or another, I guess I owe it to him, for erasing my fear of gsd's.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Stare at my avatar....

I used to be scared of Fila Brasileiros because I was attacked by one when I was younger but my neighbors have two Filas and I petsit for them every summer. They're big sweeties and that pretty much got me over my fear. I tried posting a pic of them.

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 06-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Felurian

Never, ever approach a Fila you do not know well! They have been bred for hundreds of years to have an aversion to strangers and to be defensive. Once they know you and accept you as their friend you couldn't ask for a more loving, loyal friend, but as you unfortunately know, if they don't know you they will become defensive. Fortunately, they were also bred to stop, not to maim or kill humans. The number of specialized traits in the Fila are really remarkable when you stop and think about it.

I'm glad you have become such good friends with your neighbor's Filas. They're wonderful - if they know you!

Are your neighbor's dogs from working lines or show lines?

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Big German Shepherd

Well, when I was smaller my brother had a dog... an American Eskimo Dog.

Beautiful dog but unfortunaetly, he got it from one of those "free dog to good home" ads in the paper. Extremely aggressive... I went to pet him (when I was younger) while he was eating and he took a chunk of my hand. I still have a scar there.

It was my brothers and at the time, he wasn't very educated about how to raise a dog... it was an outside dog--wal-mart food--not much attention except to be fed and whenever I would pet him.

So... that was a bad experience with dogs... had a couple other experiences like that but it never changed my view about dogs...
Old 06-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

I don't think I was ever afraid of dogs... probably because my grandparents always had atleast two dogs. One of them was a Husky mix. He was big and clumsy and lovable. I think an early exposure to canines prevented me from developing a fear,