Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Top Dog

Default i never hear anything about pedigree

i have never heard pros and cons about pedigree food. can someone tell me, if this would be a god dog food to feed???
Old 06-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Staffie Mad

Do you mean Pedigree Chum? If you've read the ingredients list then you'll see, its not good, they add colouring to the food to make it brown!! Especially the treats they make, full of sugar and crap. I believe Pedigree only has 4% meat deritives. Does that sound good to you? Have a look at Mordy's website, she explains how you can learn to find out which dog foods are good, by reading and understanding the ingredients list. I think her website is great, I spent ages looking in my petshop for a suitable dog food, after visiting her website, because at the end of the day, I only want to feed shadow food that is the best and good for her.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:37 AM
no touchy

Pedigree isn't a good food at all, in my opinion. Corn and by-products.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:38 AM
no touchy

Default Here are the ingredients for Pedigree Adult Large Breed

Quote:
GROUND YELLOW CORN, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, MEAT AND BONE MEAL (NATURAL SOURCE OF CALCIUM), RICE, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, DRIED BEET PULP, WHEAT FLOUR, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, WHEAT MILL RUN, CARAMEL COLOR, VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), IRON OXIDE.
Not that good...
Just sleeping.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Felurian

I think "frightening" would be an appropriate adjective . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Not crazy...

But dogz can live on it. It wont kill them, and they won't care.

Buster, 11 weeks
Old 06-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Felurian

No, they don't know they should care . . . that's up to you to care enough to not feed them toxic waste.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-28-2005, 09:49 AM
BusterLove

none of our dogs eat canned food.
They were really hungry one night so i agve them some, and Buster threw his up

Old 06-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Top Dog

Check out this product wizard on the Natura site. This will give you an idea of what the products really are. Pedigree is cheap and unhealthy.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=ingr-wiz

Example: in Pedigree there is MEAT AND BONE MEAL (NATURAL SOURCE OF CALCIUM) - Meat Meal or Meat & Bone Meal is the rendered product from mammal tissues, with or without bone, exclusive of any added blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

Most people associate this ingredient with beef. The truth is that it can come from any mammal: pigs, goats, horses, rabbits, rendered animals from shelters, and dead animals found on roads. Meat meal can contain condemned parts and animals that are rejected for human consumption, including '4D' animals: dead, diseased, dying, or disabled. It can include pus, cancerous tissue, and decomposed (spoiled) tissue. This inexpensive ingredient found in many commercial pet foods cannot be considered part of a safe, healthy diet for pets.

Pretty scary what goes into pedigree, I would never feed it to any of my dogs. Road kill I found on the side of the road I would consider before I would consider Pedigree
Old 06-28-2005, 10:12 AM
no touchy

They may not care....they may even like eating junk....but it's not good for them. Just because a kid doesn't complain about eating only Pop-Tarts, potato chips and Coca-Cola his whole life doesn't mean it's good for him.
Just sleeping.