Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Happy

Though I doubt your neighbor would steal your dog, it's better if she and her kids didn't go into your yard or play with him while you weren't around. It's putting your dog's life in the hands of people you don't know all that well, and have other priorities, like having fun with the neighbor's puppy or protecting her kids from a pit bull. Careless handling could give rise to future bad behavior on his part, or (worst case) an incident you didn't witness could endanger your dog's life if the neighbor or her kids get injured. I really wouldn't want other people playing with my young, impressionable dog, esp. a pit bull type, without my direct supervision.

I'd be direct, and tell her that Shadow loves to play, and loves her and her family, but you don't want any accidents to happen so please ask before coming over. If she protests, just tell her your insurance is an issue, especially because of Shadow's breed, and it's just so unfair but you know how it is...
Old 06-27-2005, 11:13 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

at 11 weeks..your dog needs to be bonding with you not the neighbor..can u suggest they get a dog of their own politely? offer to help them find one that would be child friendly..be persistant and firm that you do not want your dog taken out of your yard, it is not safe for small children to play with a dog so young, they could hurt your puppy far more seriously then your puppy would ever hurt them,,inform them that your dog has plenty of water to drink inside,,or put a heavy weighted bowl outside that could not be tipped..better yet one of those things you attach to the faucet outside that allows the dog to lick it gettin fresh cold water at all times.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Love my pets

I agree with everyone that as nice as your neighbor is being, you never want anything to happen that could jeopardize your puppy.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:01 AM
Staffie Mad

I found a ball in my garden yesterday that I've seen before that I thought my other next door neighbours kids might have accidentally thrown in. But I remember seeing it in the garden, then it dissapeared, I figured shadow had just hidden in somewhere, she does that a lot. Then I realised it must be the ball that my neighbours little boy metntioned throwing to shadow, thinking about it, she couldnt have hidden it any where cos its too big and its luminous orange, I would have seen it. So my neighbour must have come over my wall to retrieve it, then thrown it back in yesterday. She must have been in my back yard! Im appauled, I was worried she may do it, but in the back of my mind I figured she's a reasonable person, surely she wouldn't trespass into my back garden to play with my dog! But she must have! Arrrgghh! This is really bothering me! Im going to have to talk to her, I hate confrontation, especially with people who are older than me, who seem like proper grown ups (that sounds so sad) Im only 22, and I'm such a wimp. Im gona have to put up a fence. GGGRRRRRRR.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:05 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Maybe, if these people are so interested in a puppy, it is time for them to get a dog? I don't know them, but if they are so interested in playing with your puppy they should look into getting a dog themselves.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:28 AM
Staffie Mad

I think its probably the novelty factor of having a puupy, every wants to play with a puppy, but they dont think about the fact you have to feed them, clean up after them, stay up with them when they wont sleep, take them out, take them to the vets.....etc..This whole situation is really starting to bother me, luckily enough my partner is home today and tommorrow so he can make sure nothing happens. I've got to speak to them!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Top Dog

Good luck. Confrontation is hard but it will make your life SO much easier in the long run. It doesn't have to be bad, just be polite and firm like the previous posts said - there are a lot of reasons why she shouldn't be playing with your pup - if she can't understand that and gets in a huff, she would've gotten in that huff eventually anyway.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Big German Shepherd

Oh... that is disturbing... she has no right to come on your property without your permission and play with your dogs without your permission.. not good at all.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Top Dog

sometimes we think cnfrontation is hard, but once u do it it may turn out pretty easy, and she may understand. dont EVER think people who are older than you are "proper grown ups". age does not matter. just think of yourself as a woman, talking to another woman, having a important conversation. i hate it when people think because they're older they can treat u as their child. but please talk to her ASAP, before she messes up your puppys behavior, trained by you. dont let her change it
Old 06-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Felurian

I think I'd make sure Shadow was securely indoors - at least until she's grown - while I was gone if I were you . . . That neighbor may be completely harmless and benign, but some of the things you've described are really creepy red flags. Sneaking into your yard when you're gone is not only wrong - it's stupid. I also wouldn't want my dog to be so comfortable with a neighbor that the neighbor could walk right into my house . . . A fence with a locking gate really sound like a necessity.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian