Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

Default Do you manage to keep your house clean?

Neither me nor my husband have ever been really picky with keeping a perfectly clean house. We have cats, so we're used to hair, vomit, one of our cats used to pee a bit everywhere because he got old too (he was put to sleep last December because he was in lots of pain).

But still... since I got Boris it seems that I should clean the floor every 3 hours. It's not only all the twigs and leaves that he brings home from outside (although that doesn't help), I just look at the kitchen floor and I sigh. The rest of the house is wood, so it doesn't show as much, but I know it's about the same.

Of course, it's raining. He's usually free to go outside during the day, I just close the door from time to time so he still learns how to hold from time to time. So, he comes in with his muddy paws and leaves a mess in the whole house. Last time I cleaned (typically, after it rained), I cleaned one room with bleach and the water was already black. Ew. Today he got on the bed when I wasn't looking, and there are huge muddy stains on the sheets (which is how I found out ). Needless to say, my white shirt I just got out of the laundery is going back there tonight (although that was from picking up Tips after he was outside).

So, do any of you manage to keep the house clean with dogs? Any tips you want to spare, or the name of a terribly efficient floor cleaner?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Felurian

Nope. Not me, lol! A farm, three big dogs and CHARLEY???? Surely you jest

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

So glad that someone else shares the frustration of having a dirty house!!! LOL The kitchen floor...aye aye aye...In the winter, I have these two huge rugs that cover my whole floor, so all I had to do was vacuum, but, when we got the puppy, he kept peeing on them, so I pulled them up. Now, that it's summer time, and I live on a very, very, very, busy main road, all the dirt from the road(blows right in the window ) and the dirty paws and the sticks and leaves from the doggies, etc. etc. my floor is always gross!!!! LOL I mop that floor twice a week now! The front room, which is the doggies main play room is always littered with toys and chewies so I'm constantly trying to keep it somewhat organized. I really, really, want to teach the puppy to "Tidy up!" so that he can put his own toys away, but everyone thinks i'm crazy!!

As for a cleaner, I found this pinesol stuff, lemme go check the label, all the dirt from the mop sinks to the bottom of the bucket so you are always mopping with clean water....it's just regular pinesol, but it's the new formula. I think I got it at Wal-Mart. That works well in keeping the floor clean, but I do love my bleach!

Aside from the doggies, and constantly cleaning up after them, my boyfriend is another story!!! Anybody have any suggestions on how to train a man to find the garbage can so that wrappers and packages get thrown away?!?!!? I tried treats and even tried making signs and arrows pointing to the garbage! Still, to no avail, he can't get where the garbage is!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

While I'm no June Cleaver, I do tidy up and dust the tile floors and vaccuumm. I really need to set aside at least a half of day soon and do my windows and walls. And oh yeah, dust the cobwebs off the ceilings in the corners They aren't that bad but I tend to look up and see them then go about my business lol. We have only one room downstairs with carpet and that's trashed. I'm continously shampoo'ng it on the weekends. With three girls and a hubby, my laundry is never ending. Everyone's socks and underwear get put in a big laundry basket and they all fend for themselves. I could never tell them apart.

Melissa my oldest helps me out alot with the dishes and laundry. She's such a sweetheart

oh yeah, I have a full time 9-5 job also and Tony works 11 pm - 7 am. Thats better than his last shift though which was 3 am - 3 pm for the last 6 months.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Big Dog

Whats a clean house About the only thing in my house hair free is the ceiling..
Old 06-27-2005, 12:09 PM
no touchy

Hmm...somewhat. We do a full cleaning once a week - floors are washed, carpets vacuumed, windows washed....of course, it doesn't last long. Two days later the backdoor has nose prints all over it, the carpet is covered in dog hair and there are muddy foot-prints on the floor.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Corgi bum

My house is usually pretty clean. I have a really nit picky husband who likes the house pretty much spotless all of the time. He helps alot also which is nice. He's about that with our cars also. That gets a bit old. He can tell if I've gotten drive through food and have had it in the car. He wants me to put it in the truck so it doesn't smell up the cars...LOL Thats a little hard to do.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

It's a never ending job....there's always something to do.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

I have 3 Newfoundland dogs with tons of coat, Rottweiler and a Dobe. With the Newf's when it's raining or other wise miserable I put bath mats on the floor leading from the front door to the area they like to flop. I put down soaker blankets from the Vet clinic to soak up excess moisture. I also keep a high velocity dryer at home, soapless shampoo and a hand vacuum. I don't let tundrals of coat bother me to much, or the drool on the walls, ceiling, fridge, oven bother me too much either. I just carry a damp sponge to wipe drool off when I am walking around doing normal household things. If I go to the bathroom and I see drool I wipe it up...it's a lot harder to get off when it drys.
With my Rottie and Dobe if its raining I just towel them off and wipe their paws. I always keep old blankets on my bed and couch so I can just throw them downstairs to be washed if the dogs jump up on the bed. A bathmat by my bed to catch the excess water.
I don't find it too bad to keep up with the dogs, a good towel is always handy to towel dry when they come in from outdoors. Bathmats spread around on the floor and soakers have made my life very easy. The bathmats and soaker blankets were worth the investment.

Last edited by Athe; 06-27-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Big German Shepherd

Hehe, 3 big males in one house... um... somewhat.

Like last night, my dad and I just started going on a cleaning raid... it's going to get dirty again, although right now: it's very clean.