Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Default "weekend get-aways"

Our shelter is doing this new fostering program called "Weekend Get-aways" lol

It's for adult dogs and basically you pic a shelter dog that you foster for a weekend. You take them home with you friday evening and return them Monday morning (or earlier or take them later depending on how long you can keep them). It's basically a way to give the dogs at the shelter a nice break at a place where they will get individual time and maybe some training.

I think it's a really good idea! Anyone else's shelter do anything like this?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Top Dog

The humane society around here does a thing where you sign up to be a dogor cats "freind". You can go pick up that dog whenever you want and you can take them out to the park or to petco for an hour or just home to spend a night or a weekend. the cats as well. Although I'd imagine you'd just take the cats home for the night. IDK, though. i had a leash trained cat that I took to petco and stuff.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha's pet View Post
The humane society around here does a thing where you sign up to be a dogor cats "freind". You can go pick up that dog whenever you want and you can take them out to the park or to petco for an hour or just home to spend a night or a weekend. the cats as well. Although I'd imagine you'd just take the cats home for the night. IDK, though. i had a leash trained cat that I took to petco and stuff.
wow that's cool! Though I'd be worried about just having random people take them, but I'm paranoid

But that sounds like a good way to get the dogs and cats out of the shelter enviroment for a little while!
Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

I guess they check you out the way they would if you applied to foster. I'm not really sure.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Are you dead yet?

You know, that is a GREAT idea and it's one I'm going to suggest to my shelter as well. I know a lot of dogs there that could use a weekend getaway.

And Sam'sPet, that's a great idea too. How come I never think of things like this?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:20 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

What a great idea, BB! Good for the dogs.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Oh and get this, last weekend they had 80 dogs walked!! Now that is amazing! 10-13 volunteer walked 80 dogs in one morning and then went back home to their own dogs! Now that is dedication! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha's pet View Post
I guess they check you out the way they would if you applied to foster. I'm not really sure.
OH I see. lol Sorry I thought you meant they just came over and picked up a dog haha, but yeah that makes more sense. That's a really good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
You know, that is a GREAT idea and it's one I'm going to suggest to my shelter as well. I know a lot of dogs there that could use a weekend getaway.

And Sam'sPet, that's a great idea too. How come I never think of things like this?
Hey, I never come up with good idea's like that either! lol

Goodluck! That would be cool if your shelter got that going as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
What a great idea, BB! Good for the dogs.
lol I thought so too lol It's always a good idea to get the dogs out for the weekends! Even if we are there saturdays and sundays dog walking.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:03 PM
~Lisa~

Thats a great idea. i would love to do that. Maybe I will e-mail some shelters aound here and sugest it. I would so do that. I dont think I can comit to another dog right now, but I sure could for a few days.

Im sure they go over aot of things with the families much like a foster home would
Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Actually, it seems after fostering a few dogs for a weekend, some people end up deciding to foster one of their "weekend" dogs for the long term! Which is great!