Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-27-2008, 02:07 AM
Are you dead yet?

Default Yay!

The town I live in JUST opened up a dog park. I haven't been there yet, but am planning on going tomorrow.

I have a question though, as I'm not sure on dog park etiquette. Is it okay to bring a socially challenged dog if he's kept leashed? I would love to bring Zaphod just to socialize him a bit, but I don't trust him not to be a pest. He's not terribly aggressive, just a typical pushy, dominant, obnoxious teenager.

In any case, Eve and I are excited to go!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:11 AM
and Fozzie B!

That's awesomeee! : D I cannot wait until our dog park opens, this spring... we have to drive a few towns away to the other one, and it kind of sucks.

Personally, I don't think the dog park is a good place to socialize a dog who is iffy. Especially since you've had Z for only so long. I'm sure he wouldn't hurt another dog, but you never know, if he is going to feel threatened or cornered with other dogs rushing him when he's on-leash. Keep in mind that PLENTY of dumb people with TRULY aggressive dogs bring them to the dog park... and it's a new dog park, so there's probably going to be plenty of - well - morons who don't understand that dog parks are not for every dog in the world.

I had to learn that lesson the hard way. Gonzo can be a little obnoxious, but never to the point of fighting. He has never instigated a fight, or hurt another dog. But, one day at the dog park, when he was minding his business and playing ball... a Rottie approached him tried to pin him, he told her to step off with a polite growl, and she proceded to rip his face up. D: I wouldn't take the risk, if I was you. But you know Z better than I do, obviously.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 01-27-2008, 03:11 AM
Twin 2.0

If you are going to take Zap, I'd do it at a very non-busy time and only after you've gotten to know some of the regulars a little. I know that I wonder at people who bring obnoxious dogs to an off-leash park and keep them leashed. But if you've been able to establish a bit of a rapport with people and they get to know you and vice versa, then you'll get more leeway and they might even run interference for you if needed.

Hope you have fun! Despite some of crappy runs we have here and there, for the most part I adore our off-leash park.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:15 AM
<--------Orson

I think Zoom said it for me

And Yay! Have fun!!............of course we KNOW this will mean pictures! WHOOOOT!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
I have a question though, as I'm not sure on dog park etiquette. Is it okay to bring a socially challenged dog if he's kept leashed?
Personally I wouldn't do it. I know many dog parks have no-leash rules, since often times with leashes come leash aggression. Zaphod will want to run around and play, and he may get annoyed and resentful if he's leashed and only gets to watch the other dogs have fun.

SO I'd wait until he was a bit less "obnoxious" - which if he's anythign like ROnin will be a looooooong time!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

OThers dogs may run up thinking it is ok...and i know Victor feels vunerable on a leash, he knows he cant run away when a dog acts aggressively towards him. I would deffinatly wait a while. Socialize under more controlled conditions. THe park is suppose to be for dogs that can handle it and people expect to be able to let them run free.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Are you dead yet?

Thanks, guys, you're probably right. I'm so glad he has no leash aggression issues and I don't want any to pop up due to frustration.

He'll probably always be obnoxious, but I'm hoping once he's neutered and trained better he'll be more "dog park friendly".

Eve is my perfect dog park dog. She does her best to get along with everyone, avoids the dogs she clashes with and sticks around me if she feels a little vulnerable. I never worry about taking her.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Are you dead yet?

And it's RAINING today so unless the park is grass (I doubt it, too ritzy for this sad little town, LOL) we won't be playing there until it dries up. I don't want a muddy Eve today.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 AM
tessa_s212

The town next to me is considering putting in a dog park. I'm not sure I'd drive over jsut to go, unless I used it for agility or training.

Sounds liek fun though!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Twin 2.0

Yeah our park was a lake yesterday since everything is melting right now...had to rinse the dogs off when we got home, which is fun because I don't have a sprayer attatchment. So there was a lot of splashing involved.

They probably REALLY want to go today because it's already above 50 outside and Sawyer is acting like an whining idiot again, but OMG...I don't have galoshes and it's going to be nothing but standing water and mud.