Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Top Dog

Exclamation Fort Worth Council Approves Ban On Dog Tethering

Fort Worth council approves ban on dog tethering

January 22, 2008
By JEFF MOSIER / The Dallas Morning News

The Fort Worth City Council approved an ordinance Tuesday that generally prohibits pet owners from leaving unattended dogs tied up in yards.

The ban is similar to one already passed in Irving and Austin and another being discussed in Dallas. Dogs can't be tied to a stationary object or a trolley system, according to the new ordinance.

City officials said research by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that chained or roped dogs are 2.8 times more likely to bite. The American Veterinary Medical Association said in 2003 that "tethering" contributes to aggressive behavior.

There would be a few exceptions such as during veterinary treatment, grooming or similar activities and when a person has "direct physical control" of the dog.

Those exceptions are valid only if the dog has a "reasonable and unobstructed" range of motion and access to shelter and clean water.

An offense would be a Class C misdemeanor, similar to a traffic ticket, and subject to a fine of up to $2,000. The new ordinance is tougher than a 2007 state law that Fort Worth officials said was confusing and difficult to enforce. That state law included time and weather conditions for the prohibition against tethering.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....4a35367a.html
Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Top Dog

Well, I hope they are prepared to deal with the numerous packs of new dogs that are about to be running loose on the streets whether intentional or unintentional (fencejumpers, etc.). I hope they are also prepared to deal with the increase in dogs dumped at animal control and area shelters. And lastly, I hope they are prepared to deal with the increase in dog bites and dog attacks that most assuredly will follow this assinine law.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Jerk.

Absolut Carp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
There would be a few exceptions such as during veterinary treatment, grooming or similar activities and when a person has "direct physical control" of the dog.

Those exceptions are valid only if the dog has a "reasonable and unobstructed" range of motion and access to shelter and clean water.
Um....the whole purpose of "tethering" a dog during veterinary treatment or grooming is to restrict the dog's range of motion, thereby making it much easier to perform the necessary task. Last I knew, my vet didn't put a bowl of water on the exam table while treating my dog, nor did the groomer put a bowl of water on the table while brushing him, and even if they did, the water would not be clean for very long.

Good grief!

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 AM
Jerk.

Texan voters=smat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Thumbs up

Can't please everyone, but I'm happy this legislation passed.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Twin 2.0

Of course you are! Yay! More dogs causing traffic accidents, breaking out of their yards and running loose, which is a DIRECT contribution to those "roving dog attacks", which then lead to more incidences of BSL...I can't wait until you and your cronies go after leash-laws as being inhumane because they cause tracheal damage induced by constant pulling, fights caused by the inability to properly greet another dog and a general increase aggression. Leashes are already directly related to aggression anyway, it only makes sense that we should ban those next.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Top Dog

this will cause some problems i hope they will reconsider it... i also dont like tethering cause they tend to make the dogs more aggressive.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 PM
We are Home.

UGH!!!!!! More stupid laws in place. And you are right Zoom next they are going to go after leashes. Then the bites will be WAY UP!!!!

Why cant they leave freaking tethering alone since they know nothing about it since they are spouting off PETA propoganda.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanda View Post
this will cause some problems i hope they will reconsider it... i also dont like tethering cause they tend to make the dogs more aggressive.
tethering does not make aggressive dogs, humans make aggressive dogs.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie