Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 06-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Kelpiefied

I agree totally. I really dislike this kind of thing, giving a bad name to so many breeds.
It's the reason i can't take german shepherds or dobes to the parties i perform at, much as i love them both.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Felurian

It's a shame, too, especially since kids and German Shepherds are just so fascinated with each other on such a basic level.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-28-2005, 10:05 AM
BusterLove

it really gets to me when some person can attack and murder 30 people and get life in gaol, but a dog snaps and they loose their life, when usually this is learnt or triggered behaviour

Old 06-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Felurian

Doesn't seem very just, does it?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-28-2005, 11:20 AM
BusterLove

yeah, i like you renee, your smart

Old 06-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridey_01
There's no such thing as a "bad" dog. A dog is the sum of its experiences and instincts, not a human being with such concepts as malicious intent and such.
So there's no such thing as a good dog, either? I find that position very hard to respect. They're not humans, but they certainly can have malicious intent. Unless you believe that all dog attacks are total accidents, that the dog was just running and jumping and happened to hit another dog or person with his teeth Their grasp on the future is more limited than ours, and I don't think a dog plans months in advance to avenge himself on some annoying kid or neighbor dog, but I certainly think they can make short-term plans. I've seen one dog set up his own excuse for biting by dropping a toy in the middle of a hallway, and then roaring out to 'defend' it from an unwitting passerby, and another dog who created a similar situation by dropping kibble - the one thing she was allowed to guard - in a neat line around the first floor of a house so that when the new family cat came downstairs, she could chase her 'away from her kibble' ie, back upstairs.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Felurian

That's where our responsibility comes into play. It's up to us to draw the line and teach our dogs that those kinds of stunts just won't cut it.

Or, a bad owner can either allow the behaviour to continue or even encourage it.

It's up to us to determine how much we allow our dogs to get by with.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Happy

Yes, I do get your point.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Kelpiefied

If the dog is allowed to engage in such behaviours without consequence, it has learned that it can! Thus such behaviour becomes experience.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridey_01
If the dog is allowed to engage in such behaviours without consequence, it has learned that it can! Thus such behaviour becomes experience.
But what you were saying earlier was that there are no bad dogs, only dogs who have learned what they can get away with. We're not debating whether dogs are instinctual or intelligent, we're arguing if they can be held to moral account when they act violently. I believe that no matter how at fault, to blame or responsible the owner is for a dog getting free to hurt or kill, the dog ultimately had the choice to go or stop. A dog who choses to go should get no pity, he's a disgrace to his race and a danger to ours.