Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 06-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Felurian

Actually, I have owned Terriers. Independent little cusses - but some of my favorite critters. Filas are infinitely more self-determined than any Terrier though.

Did I not say there was plenty of blame to go around? My point about the way the owner dispatched the dog is that it says a great deal about what kind of dog owner he was to begin with - someone who should only have one of those robotic dogs.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-28-2005, 03:25 AM
BusterLove

i don't think he even deserves that. I was thinking, that in my lifetime, if the sun was about to blow up or something, rather than waiting to persih and burn, i was thinking of suicide, (im not suicidal don't worry) but i didnt know how, like, i love life, i dont want to die and if i had to, i want it to be pretty painless, i would NEVER be able to shoot myself, if i had to kill myself, i would probably sneak into a vet clinic and euthinize myself.

I know all that sounds very morbid but i don't want to burn to death, hopefully i will be long gone before i have to even think about that... again

Old 06-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Kelpiefied

I believe all dogs, of all breeds, are born as basically good. We warp them and twist them sometimes intentionally and sometimes not. Then we find it convenient to blame them. No dog is born evil. No dog should be shot for actions it commited due to it's owners ignorance.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:04 AM
BusterLove

exactly, nothing is born evil, whether we shape their behaviour like that intentionally or not, as far as i have seen, it is usually the carers fault

Old 06-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Did I not say there was plenty of blame to go around? My point about the way the owner dispatched the dog is that it says a great deal about what kind of dog owner he was to begin with - someone who should only have one of those robotic dogs.
Saying that there's plenty of blame to go around is, in my experience, usually a way of avoiding laying blame where it belongs. I think the owner was to blame too, but it's a little evasive to say that there was fault on both sides, since this board (like most dog-centric places) focuses almost entirely on human error.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Felurian

We are the humans in the equation, and regardless of where the blame lies, the responsibility lies completely with us.

I think you'll find, as you get to know me better, that I tend to choose my words carefully, following the advice of the March Hare to Alice:

"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on.

"I do," Alice hastily replied; "at least I mean what I say that's the same thing, you know."

"Not the same thing a bit!" said the Hatter. "Why, you might just as well say that `I see what I eat' is the same thing as `I eat what I see'!" -- Lewis Carroll

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Kelpiefied

There's no such thing as a "bad" dog. A dog is the sum of its experiences and instincts, not a human being with such concepts as malicious intent and such.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Felurian

Gotta admit, Bridey, a couple of mine were completely capable of doing things with 'malice aforethought' and it wasn't because they were taught to act that way. I just had to be aware of the propensity and make sure I kept on top of things - it was good mental exercise trying to stay ahead sometimes - especially with Buffy, who took premeditation to a whole new level . . . Let's just say the meter reader still talks about her - and he works in a different county now and tells the guys he works with that there are NO scary dogs on any other routes . . . One thing Buffy did for him - she cured him of his fear of dogs! It was my responsibility, though, to make sure she understood the inhibitions about actually biting . . . and I did put her up when he came to read the meter. He came to understand the dynamic of dealing with her the day she trotted quietly down the drive without barking. She sat down demurely - under the meter on the milk house and the poor guy thought she had decided to be friends and started to get out of the truck. I was flying down the driveway and yelled at him to get back in the truck. He stood there for a second, but when I yelled to him the second time he looked back at Buffy and got back in the truck. She lunged just as he closed the door . . . She was trying to sucker him away from the safety of the truck so she could terrorize him . . . He never, ever forgot that lesson, lol! And neither did I!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Kelpiefied

Hmm. Not in my experience, but there is always that one dog that teaches you new things and changes your mind on all your old ideas. Then again, I don't think this pit bull just thought "Hmm, a kid, you know what? I think i might just break my collar and mosey on over there and rip her to pieces"
Old 06-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Felurian

Buffy definitely was never the typical dog, lol! She knew exactly what she was doing. She was a completely different creature on a leash or off of her own property (if she had to bring in some runaway cows) - I could take her anywhere and she was totally reliable.

Quote:
Then again, I don't think this pit bull just thought "Hmm, a kid, you know what? I think i might just break my collar and mosey on over there and rip her to pieces"
I doubt that went through the Pit's mind at all, either. An attack like that is most often the result of conditioning and criminally poor ownership - with some tragically irresponsible breeding thrown into the mix, and the whole chain of events is usually sparked by more than one thing at that given moment.

The worst owners seem to be attracted to the dogs with the worst temperament traits.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian