Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Just try me..

Most of the JRTs that I fostered had bit people. But is was deemed due to stupid human error and not 'aggressive dog' I don't know. I know they did before. Maybe not when you were doing it, but before that?
Many JRTs that are coming in have bit people. Most are non puncture type 'bites' The one that I had to fight to have put down..had mangled the guys hand. (and was really quite a scary dog in many many ways...though I got along with him) I guess the law suit thing isn't as relevant anymore as insurance companies (and lawyers) are realizing that ANY dog can bite. And that people lie.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

Yes years ago they did take in dogs with bitting issues or aggression, then the club and the rescue were sued because of a dog that was placed. It bit a neighbor kid or a visiting kid.
After that the insurance company for the club refused to insure unless the policy changed.
Getting insurance for a club or school now is even more difficult than what it was.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Just try me..

Must have changed. Not an issue now that i know of.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I think it was a Pomeranian, but same principle. Anything with teeth has the potential to bite/kill.

Over 45 breeds are reposnsible for human fatalities. This list includes both Yorkies and Poms.

Quote:
The same thing could have happened with a playpen in the den...a swing in the living room. When babies are sleeping, you let them sleep and you get things done you need to...you don't stare at them 100% of the time. IF you have a housedog that is in the home...the dog has access to the baby many times during the course of the day. But most dogs will stay with their owners,....perhaps this one didn't.
No on said you must sit and hold or sit and stare at your child 100% of the time. But honestly, keeping your dogs away from your child/children when you are not physically close by to supervise is very simple and very easy. And it's called "responsibility."

I don't buy the "most dogs will stay by their owners, but some won't" excuse b/c if that dog won't then when it's time for me to do something & I need to leave my sleeping or playing child in the other room even if I can still see him, I grab the dog's collar and place the dog in a kennel, outside in the backyard, or attach a leash to the collar & have the dog come with me. My dogs don't make the rules in my house as to what they want to do when they want to do it and where they want to do it. They do what I have them do.

My 1st son is only 18 months old, but I can honestly swear to you that he has NEVER been left alone with one of our dogs, or anyone else's dog for that matter, for even 20 seconds. Yes it might take a little extra effort on my behalf, but better that extra effort than have to possibly bury my child.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

I agree, its a responsiblity to our children. It's no different that ensuring that the child doesn't drown in a buck or the toliet. All the what of, should of's and could of's doesn't stack up against preventive. And yes there are dogs that may never harm an infant or child.............but why take the chance?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I agree, its a responsiblity to our children. It's no different that ensuring that the child doesn't drown in a buck or the toliet. All the what of, should of's and could of's doesn't stack up against preventive. And yes there are dogs that may never harm an infant or child.............but why take the chance?
There are plenty of dogs that wouldn't. Most of them, once they understood what the baby was. Here's the problem . . . the dog has to understand what the baby is (pup of the pack) and the parents/owners need to evaluate the dog's prey drive and whether it has jealousy issues. Most people are in no way qaulified to do that . . . and even if they were, by the time you were really certain it was safe, the kid would be a toddler, and you'd have an entirely different set of kid-dog problem possibilities.

I would hardly want people to think their dogs are murderers . . .or to panic everytime the dog gets near the child. But common sense, and not leaving them alone is in order . . . its really just like you shouldn't leave a hyperative kindergardener alone with your baby either!

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-25-2008, 04:10 AM
Squishy22

Another example of an owner who thinks their little dog couldn't or wouldn't do such a thing. Owners trust their little dogs way too much just because the dog is small and loving to its owner. People dont realize that even small dogs can become VERY jealous and have ZERO tolerance for an infant. Dogs can see babies as competition for food and attention.

Sickening how their pit bulls were mentioned. I was at my aunts house with Reggin and my moms pug who has tried to attack my baby. It was brought up that her pug growls at the baby and then my aunt points at reggin and says.... "You need to be careful, THOSE kinds of dogs turn on people". I was PISSED. I need to be EXTRA careful with reggy just because he is a pit, but my moms pug is harmless even through she has already tried bitting my baby.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:03 AM
Puppy Dog

That's just horrible! I agree, it's not the breed, its the owners.

I would NEVER trust any of my dogs alone with my little neice and nephew and one of my dogs is a service dog and LOVES kids! Especially those kids! But it's just common sense to not leave any dog alone with children, no matter what.
Qenna: 11 week old chocolate Lab (Seizure Response SDIT)
Old 01-25-2008, 11:14 AM
ĜȫƝ ₩īĿ

Quote:
I can't imagine what any child must go through when they are a helpless victim of such an attack.
... yes I know. It's sad. I bet the owners and or parents blame the breed, instead of themselves. Liberal Bastards. Although this article has a change of context that is a good thing. America is waking up. Thank God.

Check this out ... http://catousa.messageforums.net/ret...hia_t1844.html

Amen.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
No on said you must sit and hold or sit and stare at your child 100% of the time. But honestly, keeping your dogs away from your child/children when you are not physically close by to supervise is very simple and very easy. And it's called "responsibility."
Absolutely right Mia.

Shoot, when my last baby was little we had NO dog in the house but I still loaded him into his little seat and took him in the bathroom with me to shower/bath or whatever!

There are MANY things in that article that trouble me.

First of all, this baby is 6 weeks old and has no crib? Or bassenet or ANYWHERE safe to sleep? And this baby has two older brothers, 1 & 3.........something is just off with that.

It bothers me to think they believed this dog to be completely safe and yet it ATTACKED a sleeping baby that was obviously NOT able to do the dog harm?? It just doesn't sound right somewhere along the lines.....a dog that has been safe with kids and suddenly just attacks one in it's sleep? WEIRD!

I don't know..........none of it really adds up to me. But I am really sad for that poor child