Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-21-2008, 05:06 PM
overdogged

clearly the pit bull had the jack under some kind of mind control.... why else would it be mentioned in every single article??

it's really a terrible shame. that child should never have died. sigh.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I don't believe for one second that it was an accident. Whether the infant made a small cry or whatever, it triggered that dog to attack and yes to kill, that wouldn't have been a mistake on the dogs part. Jrts are hardwired to hunt and kill and they absolutely can respond and go to those instincts that have layed dormant for years or for its entire life.
People want a cute little lap dog and have no idea what these dogs are capable of. And if they were larger, they would be part of the breed bans.
Jrts ARE a high risk breed and this is just one of the reasons.
I feel for you. I really like and admire JRTs. Of course, I'm a terrier person too and I completely understand their breeding and their drives. It just stinks that you will probably now endure some of the same hateful comments that I do all because of what someone else's dog has done to tarnish the reputation of our own.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

All I can think is they left a six week old baby alone with a terrier? With a terrier? You never, ever, ever leave anything smaller or weaker than the terrier is with a terrer. The kid would have been safer with the pit bulls. (not that that is at all a good idea either).

I have nothing against JRTs, or other terriers, but I have a nearly infinite respect, born of growing up with them, seeing ground trials, and having other pets in the same house, for their prey drive.

But of course, don't we all know that small cute dogs are never, ever dangerous? /Smacks forhead

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I feel for you. I really like and admire JRTs. Of course, I'm a terrier person too and I completely understand their breeding and their drives. It just stinks that you will probably now endure some of the same hateful comments that I do all because of what someone else's dog has done to tarnish the reputation of our own.
Well we already hear the negative comments about them and from some people's experiences with some jrts, it's justified.

What drives me nuts are the ones who own them (and god for bid breed them ) and insist that their lovely little dogs wouldn't ever do something like attack an infant. It's BS. They are absolutely capable of doing something as tragic as this.
I breed for a stable temperament and I have known thousands of jrts that are awesome, but you just can't forget the hardwiring in them as so many people blindly do.
And the ones that we jrt people consider to be hard, well in some cases they are down right mental. I wont have such a dog and I certainly wouldn't breed it.
Thanks folks for understanding that there are people out there with awesome jrts, that really do understand them and take that responsiblity on head first.

There are people that have pitties or similiar breeds/types, that have them for the wrong reasons and don't understand or care. We deal with the same thing were jrts are concerned, except its at the other end of the scale....cute little dog vs aren't I tough, look at my dog.......both have the potential to be dangerous or a problem
Old 01-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
They are absolutely capable of doing something as tragic as this.
Each and every breed of dog and mixed breed is capable of doing this! If it's got teeth, it can and will bite given the chance and the circumstance. It's just people have their heads so far up their own butts that they refuse to see that they own dogs......not little humans with 4 legs.

Quote:
All I can think is they left a six week old baby alone with a terrier? With a terrier? You never, ever, ever leave anything smaller or weaker than the terrier is with a terrer. The kid would have been safer with the pit bulls. (not that that is at all a good idea either).
I'm not sure if you were meaning to be offensive or if I just took it that way. I wouldn't leave my child along with a 15-year-old Pug if given the chance. I don't care what breed of dog or mixed breed of dog it is, YOU NEVER LEAVE CHILDREN ALONE WITH DOGS! Or even cats for that matter! Cats have suffocated infants and killed them while others have attacked them as well. People need to wake-up to reality and be responsible.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Glad I didn't have this forum when I had Goldens and infants !!! I trusted my dogs 100% ,,,, guess I was lucky .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Just try me..

That is so heartbreaking. In the parents slight defense, were they ever told? I meet so many people who are clueless. We all know and are taught about drowning. But there needs to be more education about dogs in general, without demonizing any breed.

Yes nothing smaller, weaker, heck even slightly larger than a terrier is really safe if it makes that 'prey sound'. I have seen my own dogs 'turn on' when one of the dogs makes a yelp, or squeek.

Oh we do get the biased opinions and the oh I hate JRTs they are viscous little dogs... And to be honest many people (a scary number really) will then point to some scar on their body..and say "my brother's JRT" or who ever's JRT bit me. I always wonder where all these biting JRTs come from, and what the owners do about it. I have had JRT owners come up to me at petshows and things like the sportsman show where the JRT club has a booth to educate about JRTs, and say ohhh my dog could never do that (and then point and Snip on the booth table just loving every human who comes past). I have even had ppl tell me they cannot touch their own JRT, for fear it will bite them.
The JRT rescue is the only rescue I know that willingly takes dogs who have bitten.

Its almost always a case like this on, but much less extreme, people who have no real knowledge of the breed, and no business owning them.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
That is so heartbreaking. In the parents slight defense, were they ever told? I meet so many people who are clueless. We all know and are taught about drowning. But there needs to be more education about dogs in general, without demonizing any breed.
I think its more common sense that even breed research in this case.
You don't need to be told not to leave your kid in a bathtub with water, same theory.
I wouldn't leave a baby in the middle of a bed anyway alone, I would be to
afraid he would still roll over and fall off, even with a king size bed.
The baby should have been in the crib with the door closed if she could not be there. Not just for safety, but also so any noise or pets would not wake up the baby, just common sense.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Jerk.

Didnt a Yorkie kill a baby a few years back? Its not the the breed, its the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 01-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Twin 2.0

I think it was a Pomeranian, but same principle. Anything with teeth has the potential to bite/kill.