Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Oh, it's *you*

IMO color can factor into personality. For example red & White Beagles are COMPLETELY different than the Tri's....and it's usually apparent right in the whelping box. Not better or worse...just different.

I don't discount colors making a difference...just because it does seem to in my own breed...and most Beaglers tend to agree.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Kotah BEAR

thanks houndedbyhounds
Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

It depends on the chocolate lines. Personally, I perfer Chocolates to black and yellows (maybe it's because I have one) but i have always perfered the chocolates. Chocolates are harder to breed than yellow and black labs. To breed a chocolate, and be certian that you will only get chocolate puppies, you have to breed 2 chocolate parents that only have chocolate in their lines. Breed the other colors, and you can't be certian.
As far as temperment.... well, it depends on how you raise them. My aunt had an 8-year-old yellow lab who was raised just as any other dog and was INSANE until she calmed down with 11 years. Gipsy is a pretty calm (and snotty) girl. MOST of the time, the only thing that sets her off is the door bell. She has a perfect re-call (she comes every time, but I wouldn't trust her not to follow something) and can calmly walk down the street by my side. Other than that she is as calm as can be and LOVES to cuddle

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Kotah BEAR

thanks GQ.
I am still loking into getting a yellow, female.
I am trying to figure out names.
So help me yall.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
IMO color can factor into personality. For example red & White Beagles are COMPLETELY different than the Tri's....and it's usually apparent right in the whelping box. Not better or worse...just different.

I don't discount colors making a difference...just because it does seem to in my own breed...and most Beaglers tend to agree.
My family has noticed that too . . . we thought it was just the English blood in the lemons . . .interesting to know that it goes across the breed.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Kotah BEAR

i found a Lab forum and am looking at advice there for Labs. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:06 PM
HarleyD

There is absolutely no difference in temperament between colors. Coat colors are coat colors - that's IT! It's like saying a red doberman and a black/tan doberman are going to have different personalities or that a brindle pit is going to be different than his solid white brother. It's utter nonsense.

Breeding, raising and training are what determine ANY breeds temperament.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Twin 2.0

But I've heard people say that there are differences between red and black dobes. I've heard (though of course I can't remember exactly now) that there are temperment differences related to color in Aussies as well.

Something this prevalent had to start somewhere and shouldn't be totally brushed off, IMO.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
It's like saying a red doberman and a black/tan doberman are going to have different personalities
HarleyD, how many Dobes have you gotten to know? I've lived with dobes for 6 years and have known many dobes a lot longer. IMO, there IS a difference in the colors... especially the reds and the blacks.

There is even a term in the fancy that hints at this difference - it's called Red Male Syndrome. Once you get a red male... hoo boy you're hooked for life. The reds have something that I haven't seen in the other colors. Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite dobes have been black (or fawn, or blue) but the reds have an extra spark. They have something extra, something special that can't be explained or understood until you actually own one, or spend extended amounts of time with one. I've known die-hard black dobe lovers who have done complete 180s once they got their first red... and the reason? The reason they give is simply "that red dobe personality".

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 01-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Bored Now.

If it is true, Zoom, and it's not just the lines... it would have to be proven that coat colors are linked to personality. Which I guess isn't that far-fetched, but it honestly seems a little crazy to me.