Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Dakotah's Avatar
Dakotah Dakotah is offline
Kotah BEAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 7,998
Default

Well I think IF my dad and I get a Lab puppy were just going to go see all the puppies and decide which one we like the best but I would prefer a female.
Yellows and Chocos are very pretty dogs but Yellows have that "sweeter" look to them.
__________________
*War Eagle*
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-16-2008, 11:05 AM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
I'm pretty sure that my dad will fall for the little Lab puppies since we have Jet and my dad LOVES Jet and would probably want a Lab puppy, but he don't know is that the puppy will be mine haha
You live with your dad? And Jet will live with this puppy? How old is Jet?

Many adult dogs (particularly middle age or older) get very annoyed with puppies. It can cause a lot of stress for the older dog, which in turn could cause a lot of health and behavioral problems. You might consider adopting an adult dog which will probably be easier for Jet to deal with.

And personally, I don't think there's any significant difference between black and yellow labs. I work with a LOT of labs, and the "softest" one I've met was black, while the most strong-willed was yellow. Chocolates are usually strange, though, probably bad breeding. But then again, if you adopt an adult, you'll KNOW what you're getting, which makes the decision a lot easier.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
Yellows and Chocos are very pretty dogs but Yellows have that "sweeter" look to them.
There have been studies done that proove that people consider lighter colored animals "friendlier" than dark colored animals. More black dogs are euthanized in shelters than white/blonde dogs. It's not only dogs, either - cats (orange/calico versus black/grey), rats (peach hooded versus black hooded), even fish (gold goldfish versus black goldfish).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Dakotah's Avatar
Dakotah Dakotah is offline
Kotah BEAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
You live with your dad? And Jet will live with this puppy? How old is Jet?

Many adult dogs (particularly middle age or older) get very annoyed with puppies. It can cause a lot of stress for the older dog, which in turn could cause a lot of health and behavioral problems. You might consider adopting an adult dog which will probably be easier for Jet to deal with.

And personally, I don't think there's any significant difference between black and yellow labs. I work with a LOT of labs, and the "softest" one I've met was black, while the most strong-willed was yellow. Chocolates are usually strange, though, probably bad breeding. But then again, if you adopt an adult, you'll KNOW what you're getting, which makes the decision a lot easier.
Jet is around 7 years old. When my dad and I adopted/rescued Jet she was living with a 4 and 8 month Huskies and she did really well with them. Jet loves puppies to be honest, she plays with them and all but she will let them know when she is done by doing a low, nonaggressive grrrr at them. I would say my dog will do good with puppies since she's been around them alot before my dad and I got her.
__________________
*War Eagle*
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-16-2008, 02:42 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
I would say my dog will do good with puppies since she's been around them alot before my dad and I got her.
That's fine, but just throwing this out there for what it's worth: Within the next 3-4 years (while the puppy is still young, energetic, and very playful), Jet will probably develop one or more of the following: arthritis, cataracts, hearing loss, incontinence, cancer, organ failure, mental illness, etc. A puppy (or young dog, at that time), who doesn't understand that he's sick, will give him a lot of stress. I've heard many stories of older dogs becomming aggressive and attacking young dogs just because they don't feel good or are developing dimentia. By all means, do what you want, but just understand that 3 years is NOT long.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Dakotah's Avatar
Dakotah Dakotah is offline
Kotah BEAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
That's fine, but just throwing this out there for what it's worth: Within the next 3-4 years (while the puppy is still young, energetic, and very playful), Jet will probably develop one or more of the following: arthritis, cataracts, hearing loss, incontinence, cancer, organ failure, mental illness, etc. A puppy (or young dog, at that time), who doesn't understand that he's sick, will give him a lot of stress. I've heard many stories of older dogs becomming aggressive and attacking young dogs just because they don't feel good or are developing dimentia. By all means, do what you want, but just understand that 3 years is NOT long.
oh ok. thanks. i will keep that in mind.
__________________
*War Eagle*
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Spirit2010's Avatar
Spirit2010 Spirit2010 is offline
Yum...
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,765
Default

All of there temperments depend on how you raise them basically. Goofy. All three colors. I have 2/3 colors. Chocolate and yellow. Temps are wonderful. LOVE to please, cuddle, and be lap dogs. lol Good luck! I have more info, but I am too lazy to write it as of now.
__________________


Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~


"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Dakotah's Avatar
Dakotah Dakotah is offline
Kotah BEAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit2010 View Post
All of there temperments depend on how you raise them basically. Goofy. All three colors. I have 2/3 colors. Chocolate and yellow. Temps are wonderful. LOVE to please, cuddle, and be lap dogs. lol Good luck! I have more info, but I am too lazy to write it as of now.
thanks. and lol on the last sentence.
__________________
*War Eagle*
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:27 PM
noludoru's Avatar
noludoru noludoru is offline
Bored Now.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 17,470
Default

You want to be looking at the temperaments of the parents and the temperaments of the puppies.. not their colors. While color is nice, it's not even on my top 20 list. My dog is primarily black.. which is a color I honestly hate, especially without white to break it up a bit.. but he fits in very well.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Dakotah's Avatar
Dakotah Dakotah is offline
Kotah BEAR
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
You want to be looking at the temperaments of the parents and the temperaments of the puppies.. not their colors. While color is nice, it's not even on my top 20 list. My dog is primarily black.. which is a color I honestly hate, especially without white to break it up a bit.. but he fits in very well.
I will be looking at the parents is all ways possible and the puppies the same. Health tests are a BIG thing with me since my first dog i had was a Black Lab and the mom had a disease and it went with all the puppies. So yes, everything will be reveiwed when I look at parents and puppies.
__________________
*War Eagle*
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site