Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I would personally go with Yellow.
I probably will to.
IF we end up getting a puppy i'm going to get a female. but i NEED names!
This is the most excited (most excited? haha I dont think thats right), i've ever been about getting a puppy. I've only actually had 3 puppies in my life but a few fostor/rescue rehoming dogs/older pups. The sad part is that i dont know if i'm getting a puppy or not but I'm pretty sure that my dad will fall for the little Lab puppies since we have Jet and my dad LOVES Jet and would probably want a Lab puppy, but he don't know is that the puppy will be mine haha

So female and male (just in case they don't have anymore female puppies) puppy names.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Twin 2.0

What about that Aussie you were looking at?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
What about that Aussie you were looking at?
Glad you asked about that.
I was looking at 2 rescues and the first one i was looking at had 3 dogs I liked, all 3 adopted. The 2nd one i was looking had 2 dogs and one was adopted and the other is undergoing treatment for getting sick and is in a permanet fostor home and is no longer adoptable.
I REALLY was hoping to get an Aussie, dont get me wrong, but I talked to my dad about getting a Lab puppy and he said that we'll see about getting one in the next week or so.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Are you dead yet?

I'd take a Yellow lab over a chocolate one, personally. I just haven't met any well-balanced chocolates and because they were so popular some time ago, they've been overbred and i think most chocolate lines have been "tainted". No offense to anyone with chocolates and I know that there are still good lines out there, but for the most part I find blacks and yellows more stable.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:26 AM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
I've noticed temp differences between colors, but I actually think it's probably due to bad breeders selecting only for a certain color and not temperament, than the color actually INFLUENCING temperament.

I find that the yellow labs are softer and more laid-back than the black ones, who tend to be bulls in a china shop their whole lives (at least the ones I've known). I can't comment much on the chocolates because the only chocolates I've known have been very unpredictable in behavior. Haven't met a good chocolate working or show dog yet.
My neighbors lab is yelow and crazy. Totally bonkers. I adore the big brute. My friend has a bonkers chocolate lab, my aunt had a bonkers black lab. I don't think colour has much to do with it. All about the breeder.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

There is a LONG thread about lab color and temperment around here somewhere . . . not that we can't discuss it again, but you might want to look it up.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Lord Cynical

I have experienced the same thing as Grace. Her descriptions fit the labs out here pretty much to a "T". I've seen a difference in temperament in dobes, based on color. I've also seen a difference in Setters and Cockers, based on their color.

Why this happens I don't know... but in my experience, it does.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Kotah BEAR

thanks Lilavati! I will look it up.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:18 AM
We are Home.

Sizzle you also get it alot in APBT's or any real popular or popular at one time.

The Blue APBT is usually les stable, more Razors Edge type dogs VERY VERY few are still the classic original APBT.

I have also noticed the same thing with Labs here. Most of the hunters here choose yellow over the rest anyday.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 01-16-2008, 10:28 AM
swimming upstream

this is interesting to me--since Traveler is a very mellow, obedient girl--always has been. Now, her brother (yellow lab) was a wild man! My brother's labs--yellow male--very strong willed, yellow female--very gentle, black female--very obedient, but busy.

I have to believe that breeding and how they are raised influences the outcome regardless of color--just my 2 cents.

ETA--I don't think I will ever find a better "overall dog" than Traveler has been--she is the perfect family dog.