Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Kotah BEAR

Default Chocolate v. Yellow v. Black Labs

Is there a difference betwen there personalities based on their coat color? I know that this question is WAY out there.
But this question has always pondered in my head and I thought I should ask it. I have only been around Black Labs and they are very friendly!

My very first dog was a Black Lab, Turner, and he had to be PTS (this was about 7 years ago) before he was 6 months old cause he had a hereditary mange disease and then he got an infection in his intensine (sp?) and they started bleeding and sadly, we caught that part to late.
But I have not had a Black Lab since Turner was PTS until my dad and I rescued our 7+ year old Lab, Jet about 6 months ago.

Anyways if anyone can answer my question and/or tell me about their Labs.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Bored Now.

No.

Coat color is just how they look. It's like asking me if blonds, redheads, and brunettes all have certain personality similarities. Their personality is determined by their formative months/years and their genetics, not what color they are.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Kotah BEAR

ok thanks.

Well now that my question is answered lets talk about Labs. This can be the Lab thread.
So all about Labs!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 PM
BSL Can Be Beaten

I have actually heard from lab people that hunt with theirs that they pick on colour.
Blonde - softer temp/softer mouth
Black - rougher/rowdy/goofy
Liver/choc - rugged/medium mouth

I imagine it matters more what the first dog they got was like and then they went from there.

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Are you dead yet?

I've noticed temp differences between colors, but I actually think it's probably due to bad breeders selecting only for a certain color and not temperament, than the color actually INFLUENCING temperament.

I find that the yellow labs are softer and more laid-back than the black ones, who tend to be bulls in a china shop their whole lives (at least the ones I've known). I can't comment much on the chocolates because the only chocolates I've known have been very unpredictable in behavior. Haven't met a good chocolate working or show dog yet.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I find that the yellow labs are softer and more laid-back than the black ones, who tend to be bulls in a china shop their whole lives (at least the ones I've known). I can't comment much on the chocolates because the only chocolates I've known have been very unpredictable in behavior. Haven't met a good chocolate working or show dog yet.
While my rational mind knows that color doesn't affect temperment, that's basically what I see around here. I don't know if it's because chocolate was all the rage for a while, but every human aggressive lab I've known was chocolate. The only two labs I've ever met that I think I would have enjoyed owning were both yellow.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Twin 2.0

My experiences have been pretty close to RD's. The blacks are intense, the yellows are hyper/rowdy and the chocolates are just insane. Again, possibly due to poor breeding practices, but still...these are the trends I've noticed. There are people on here with exceptions to these "rules" (my black is very much a bull in a china shop though! LOL!) but overall, the above is what you're likely to run into.

I'm not really a Lab person either, so I'm slightly biased in the negative. Virgo's "special", otherwise I would have tried a lot harder to find her another home. But after 2+ years of working in a boarding resort and dealing with umpteen million labs, this is what I've found to be true.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

From the few I've had personal contact with I'd go Yellow/ black/Chocolate . Depends on the breeding though .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Kotah BEAR

oh wow.

I am asking about Labs and their temperments based on color because like i said i've only been around black labs. But also the man I got my horse, Allie, from raises good temperment and quality Labs and his female had puppies about 6-7 weeks ago and there is like 6 yellows and 4 chocolates. I love the color of the Chocos but I might conside a Yellow IF my dad decides to get one.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Twin 2.0

I would personally go with Yellow.